How long did it take you to get 'The Sound'?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey guys

This is a rather simple question, kind of a poll I suppose. How long did it take you to get 'The Sound' in your playing? When I say the sound, I refer to when did you get that professional tone that all horn players eventually get after years of study/practise. It took me about 6 years. After you got the sound, what direction did you focus your playing on? I became more concerned with improv, style and soloing technique and have been spending years working on those aspects of my playing, among many others. So how long did it take you? :cool:

2. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Approximately 27 years...seriously!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was about 21 when my sound really started to open up and have a professional quality to it - it stemmed from playing hours every day in both rehearsal and performance situations doing everything from concert band to stage band to brass quintet. It was playing in the brass quintet that really brought about the change because that was the playing where I was the most exposed - there is no hiding or hedging in a brass quintet.

All that being said, I have never gotten to the point where I feel like I have "arrived" where my sound was concerned and since becoming a civillian in a non-music related job, my sound now is not what it used to be.

So to answer your question, I guess it depends on your point of view. I might say that it took about 10 years to get "The Sound" but on the other hand, I'm not sure I'll ever get it as good as I really want it to be so lets see...24 years and still working?

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I think that's the key right there. NEVER be satisfied. You know Bud Herseth still practices several hours a day?

-Jimi

5. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I had people comment on the mature, “professional†quality of my sound when I was in college. I knew that I sounded good, but after meeting a player that truly had “the soundâ€, I wanted to find out how to achieve this in my own playing. Since I just hit 30 years of playing the horn, I’m with Pat on this one. It literally took me 27-28 years to arrive at a sound (tone concept) that is colorful, vibrant, and resonant.

It’s amazing when everything clicks and this sound is available to me when I play music!

6. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    This is a strange issue for me. For some time I have a very firm sound concept in my head, but when I finally get there my sound concept has become more refined and developed. So, while my sound continually moves forward, so does my goal for what I want my sound to be. Often this comes from who I happen to be listening to most at the time.
    Always move forward, never straight.

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Sometimes the sound in my head and the one coming out of the bell align but sometimes I'm thinking 'Nina Simone' and sometimes I'm thinking 'Kiri Te Kanawa'..I'm always resonant and brilliant (I actually think I'm naturally blessed in that respect) but 'the sound' I've never quite attained....yet!!!

Regards,

Trevor

8. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Guys

Some great answers. And I agree with those of you who say its an ongoing process, cause it really is. Ya I got 'The Sound' after 6 years, but you guys got me thinking.
    (Whats new :-)) And I think that the sound comes in stages. But I think 6 years was kind of a milestone for me cause that was when I started to really open up and get the sound. Like I said after I had that first open up I became more concerned with improv, style and soloing techniqueng, but was subconsiously concentrating on everything as a whole. My sound has REALLY opened up further in the past year and I love it. Kind of like when I was playing last night and this
    pro sound comes out that sounds like Herb Alpert or Doc Severensen and I thought, this is cool, do I really sound like that? But at the time I am not satasfied and wanna go further. Miles said after 50 years of playing in an interview, 'I just learned something the other night that I cant wait to apply'...I guess thats part of what I love about the trumpet the most. Constant evolution and growth.

Patrick

I know what you mean about never arriving. I have arrived a lot of times, but just when I think I have arrived, I will get better and arrive again :lol: The trumpet is truly a lifelong endeavor :cool: