How long do the effects of overplaying last?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andrewlee1206, Nov 29, 2014.

1. andrewlee1206

andrewlee1206 New Friend

Jul 26, 2014
    I'm a freshman trumpet player, and recently, I switched from a 7c to a 3c. My range improved a lot, and I was really happy with my new mouthpiece. Then (around last Friday), I started playing a lot of high notes, testing my range (up to high c) and I couldn't play anymore after a while of that. The next day, I tried playing, but I couldn't, so I thought that my chops were tired. I tried playing again two days later, but my range was still really limited. Over Thanksgiving, I didn't play, but today when I tried to play, I was still limited to a E in the staff. Is there an explanation to what's going on to me right now? Could it be overplaying that's caused temporary damage or is it something else like playing high notes that were actually above my comfortable range?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Go back to your usual warmup - or even a little more than normal. Start low and slowly move up. Save the really high stuff until at least 2/3 through your practice. Don't overdo. A new mouthpiece causes you to use muscles differently so it takes time to work into it. You've overused the muscles and they will take some time to recover.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that it is overuse that stopped your playing. I think that you have been twisting your chops around to "hit" high notes. I would just say stop playing anything over an F or G for a whole week to get your playing grounded again and then use lipslurs to build range intelligently instead of banging your face up!