How long do you go without practice?? how much to practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Getzen, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Getzen

Getzen New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    Hello, this maybe was asked for ages here but here it goes again...

I'm not a serious player, but at one point I was a descent player. When I say descent I mean playing well in marching band and playing in an amature band, not like a real trumpet player.

I use to have time to practice an hour every day, but since last summer I don't have much time to devote to trumpet playing. College and other activities just don't allow me to practice seriously.

For all players, did you have a problem where you could not practice daily, and if so how long did you not practice and how much did it affect your skills?

After a good 5 months of not being to practice daily, I pretty much lost all my chops I had before, and I lost all of my endurance. I was able to play high G with lasting endurane, but now my endurance and high notes are pathetic and depressing. I've dedicated so much time, effort and pain and now it's all gone. :-( :evil:

I know that serious skilled players like Marsalis practice daily for atleast 4-6 hours. How long do you practice, and what advise can you give me?

Will it be enough if I practiced Once a week for an hour? What exersizes should I do to build my chops and endurance again besides long notes? I'm looking for realistic advise, probably with an hour a week of playing I will never build my chops that's y i'm asking here what to do best.

Thank You all

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I can practice an hour a day (and improve over time), and play lead for a couple of hours on that, but I really can't miss a day without noticing a difference. I couldn't imagine being productive or even being able to maintain my chops on an hour a week.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Getzen,

Sorry, but one hour of practice PER WEEK is not going to enable you to sit lead chair in any decent band and let you play without worry. You would do best to sit third chair until your life changes in such a way that you can put in more time. I couldn't do it but maybe that's just me.

ML

4. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota

I agree. One hour per week will barely get you anywhere. Unless there is something more important than playing(family,meetings,etc.). My advice is try to play your trumpet AT LEAST 30 min. a day. :-) :play:

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    If you only want to play for one hour a week then youve chosen the wrong instrument. The trumpet is the WORST instrument in the world to do part time. Not to mention that one hour a week will do nothing for your endurance or your technical skills.

I will go even one step further and say that if you want to even be in the league of a professional player then one hour a day won't do much for you either. I was at this point years ago before I decided to commit myself to the trumpet and make the nessasary sacrafices that pro playing demands.

I recomend at least 2 hours of serious practise a day to maintain yourself if you are a serious player. You should devote one hour a day to study and play your theorie and the other hour to have fun with what youve learned.

Personally the above is what I do during the week and on weekends I play about 5 hours a night. You also must remember that how long you practise will reflect on what you can do the next day. Additionally remember also that the embouchure is a muscle and must be worked much like a body builder works his muscles in order to acheive useable results.

I would love to take tonight off because I'm tired, but I have to put my 2 hours a day minimum in so that I can maintain my lips.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but the trumpet demands commitment. Good luck on your endeavor! :-)

PS If you want to be a trumpet player with out the sacrafice of playing daily then you may want to check out a 'Digital Trumpet' at this site. They claim on the site that theres no need to exercise your chops playing this instrument. Go to http://www.morrisondigitaltrumpet.com/

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

6. Getzen

Getzen New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    Yes you're all right, I will need more time then just one hour a week.

I will work on trying to practice daily.

Any serious amature players here, how do you handle your non music related lifestyle like work or family and playing trumpet?

For professional players it's easy since trumpet playing is their work, so they have all the time to practice, but is it possible to still be a good player while having to deal with work, school or family?

What would you say, should I just give up hope for trumpet and forget it for good. I just can't brake away from this instrument. I have such a strong passion for trumpet but yet I never had a chance to give serious attention to this demanding instrument. Always want to play when I hear the sound of a trumpet.

7. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Getzen

I was looking around on the www and think this may be what youre looing for. Check this site out Getzen. It is a 'Digital' Trumpet that does not require an embouchure, or any practise! Looks pretty cool :cool:

Sounds to me like you love the trumpet, and you remind me of myself about 15 years ago when I started out. I went through EXACTLY what you went through 15 years ago. What made me a pro is that I made a commitment to the trumpet because the call of this beautiful instrument was to strong.

This site has a pretty good write up on the Digital Trumpet
    http://www.gizmag.com/go/4393/

Heres the official site with tons of info and videos
    http://www.morrisondigitaltrumpet.com/

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

8. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    Hello Getzen.

I am VERY familiar with your situation.
    Back in the day I was a decent player as well...played in various groups.
    Pop, Salsa, Church and Lead in our College Big band for a few years.
    I joined the Navy, got married....got out, got divorced and didnt play my horn for about 15 yrs.
    About 1 1/2 yrs ago I decided I really missed playing and started over again.
    Long story short....
    I am re-married and have a 5 1/2 yr old daughter. I work midnights and dont have ANY time to practice. I play occasionally with my Church worship band but thats only about once every other month.
    If I practice 1 hr a week, thats a lot for me...but what I have found to be extremely helpful is a product called Chop-Sticks. If you are familiar with the "Pencil exercise" you will have an idea what these are about. If not you can search the topic and it will explain the concept.
    I use the Chop-Sticks about 5-10 min a day , a few times a week (I dont even use them on a regular basis) and I find my chops are staying in OK condition.
    I am realistic enough to know that I will never be a great player but I am right with you in that anytime I hear a trumpet it makes me want to pick mine up and blow.
    Check out www.chop-sticks.com
    I think it will help you out.
    BTW...I have NO affiliation with the company AT ALL !!!
    Good luck and dont ever give it up !

9. Getzen

Getzen New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    Thank you for your reply. I will look into the chop- stick method.

How much do you play and what kind of technical skills do you have?

How is your range and endurance? I'm just wondering how well can an amature like me be able to play.

Thanks

10. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    Hello G:
    At the very most...I play about 1 hr per week. Usually with play along records or jazz transcriptions (Wynton's Ballads are a lot of fun to play).
    I would say my skills are intermediate right now. I have some issues with sight reading...but thats just from lack of time on the horn. When I have to play at church I put in 2-3 hrs/week and I find those skills come back fairly easily and rather quickly.
    I do have endurance problems....obviously. but they are much less noticeable when I am faithful using the chop sticks. They really are great for maintaining what little chops I do have.
    As far as range: Pedal F to High F pretty solid...when I am fresh. That varies with what we are playing and the amount we are playing.
    All the info you will find on this website can be mind boggling but it is ALL good. I only wish I had this resource 25 yrs ago...I might have tries my hand as a starving artist !!!
    Good luck and keep playing as much as possible.