How long do YOU practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    While no means a professional, average is about 1 solid hour at lunch/work, 1-2 hours at home in the evenings. One day off which varies from week to week.

Since Sept. 2009

2. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    I practice 2-4 hours a day.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Two words: Pocket Trumpet! It's a little loud in a pickup cab but a Bach practice mute helps immensely!

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    One hour daily. But hear this: I'm an old dude, a recovering player (5-6 yrs now) and I have to be careful not to overpractice. Recovery time is directly proportional to how much I have played. I often don't practice (except warmup) on rehearsal or gig days.

5. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I practice enough that my wife bought me a Yamaha Silent Practice rig! Seriously, I'm a comeback player who (usually) gets in an hour a day in 30 minute segments with occasional gusts up to 2 hours on my days off from work. I'm working my way through Arban with Eric Bolvin's manual as a guide.

6. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    Not a professional, I'm a music major in college. I usually practice about 3 hours a day, some days more like 2, some more like 4. About 20-22 hours a week.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Usually average about 2 rehearsal sessions a week, lasting around 2 hours each. Other nights, about 45 minutes to an hour of strenuous work on the horn. Usually take a day or two a week off from playing, depending on what's going on. It's just a hobby, you know...

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How much is soooooooooo insignificant. Those that are getting the gigs just know how to pack all of the available time with the intelligent stuff that makes a difference. Time spent on the horn is about as important as how much you paid for it..............

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    OK, change the thread title to "How much QUALITY practice do you get" and I think your answer will change.

We're not all working pro's, so to be ready when gigs come up most of us have to put in time every day to stay sharp. Definitely quality time, but still "time".

If I scaled that time down any more or started to miss days in between I wouldn't be as ready to say "yes" as soon as an offer came to me.

10. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    I Think i get 4 hours of quality practice a day, you cant hold my consentration more that Max one hour (exepÄt on gigs, but the i kome tierd home :p ) so i spread the sessions so i practice 3,4,5 times a day. That works for me. But i have only played for 3 1/2 yars, but i am a serius player and i want to become a good player. Then people will Ask my and say to me that a practice to long for a person that has played so short, but that works for me and with the way a practice i can Play allmost as long as i want to.

Sorry for the speeling errors, storing on a iPad and it corrects me on norwegian :p