How long do YOU practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I am a teacher (not music) and my family doesn't care to be "disturbed" by my practicing a fairly loud instrument. Fortunately I teach in a portable and I have a few bells free. I play as much as I can in the portable during the day and 60-90 minutes after everyone has gone (schedule permitting.) I try to adhere to this schedule as much as possible, although life intrudes from time to time.

2. Alasdair

Alasdair New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Lowther Hills, Scotland
    A recent returner, I try and do anywhere between 30 and 90 mins a day in between getting on with life and kids. I'd like to do more and am hoping a practice mute will allow me to do so after the kids have gone to bed ... I suspect that come the warmer weather later in the year I may retreat to the garage / polytunnel / garden to get some extra practice in of an evening :)

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh no!!! -- somebody is going to correct me on this one -- but seriously - I think you would have to admit that your students need a minimum # of practice minutes. like at least a half hour a day or so. Even 5 minutes of quality - CANT substitute for 20 minutes of actual playing of fundamentals.

ps. and to answer the original question - about 3 hrs. a day --- but there is lots of rest during that session, so maybe only 90 minutes of QUALITY play - give or take -- but I am old, not a pro, and building on more stuff with the trumpet as a comebacker than in the first 30 yrs as a mediocre player.

pss -- I think it is both --- actual play time along with quality of play ---- I don't think anyone will get significantly better on 5 minutes of quality play each day --- but that is merely my opinion

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --
    What he said. You want it smarter, not harder.

5. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I usually average about 3 hours a day on an off day. This is actual time practicing the horn- not including listening/research, which would be additional time. I don't practice on days of gigs.

6. shazib

shazib Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2009
    California
    Honestly, 30 minutes - 2 hours (or even more sometimes) 6 days a week. Some days I can be so busy with school work I can't fit in practice time...

7. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    "Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    How much is soooooooooo insignificant. Those that are getting the gigs just know how to pack all of the available time with the intelligent stuff that makes a difference. Time spent on the horn is about as important as how much you paid for it.............."

In all respect, I already know that unfocused and improper practice isn't useful and is possibly even detrimental to one's playing. I'm not asking how long or how one should practice this post is simply out of curiosity of others habits.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  8. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Completely unrelated to this topic, how do add signatures, do you have to type it in every time you post or is there someway to automatically add it in.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that what you practice is more important how much. That's why I included a summary of my practice routine.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie

Go to USER CP in the blue menu bar near the top of the page. That will take you to a menu on the left containing EDIT SIGNATURE.