How long do YOU practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    While I don't agree that the amount of time you practice is insignificant, WHAT you practice is just as important, sometimes more.

The reason I believe that the amount of time is important to some players is this- if a player is working to build endurance, the amount of time spent practicing will be an important factor in building this endurance. It all depends on the requirements of the playing situations the player has.

2. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Wow, my jealousy cup overfloweth!
    Due to young children, I'm lucky to get 20 minutes in when I get home from work. So most of my practice happens on the weekends and a few 30 minute pre-work and lunchtime sessions in my car during the week. On a good week I'll get two or three of those sessions in (I don't drive everyday) and half an hour a few nights a week and on each day of the weekend.
    I found something funny too: all that car practice has made me blow a little tentatively. My teacher was trying to get me to put some gusto into my sound and I realised that I've been unknowingly playing softly so as not to draw too much attention to myself sitting in a car with a trumpet. I work contract jobs so hopefully the next one will be a bit closer to home.

3. NavesRegge

NavesRegge New Friend

Jan 23, 2011
    North Dakota
    I usually practice hard and long (an hour or so) on whatever I feel like (Arbans, Clark's Studies, horntabs.net or whatever my teacher assigned me) for a day. Then, the next day I take it easy and shorter (20-30 minutes). The next day, I go a bit harder and a bit longer (40 minutes). The day after, I go long and hard again. And then back to easy. I usually don't follow this schedule exactly. Accidentally playing video games for too long and doing homework usually interferes with my practicing. Plus, my horn has to be at school most of the time, so I only really have it on weekends and when I decide to take it home.

Still, it works pretty well for me, but I'm thinking of trying a more linear schedule and doing only exercises and techniques and such from Arbans and only doing tabs on occasion. Since most of the music I like to play is high, fast ska (as far as tabs go), it messes with whatever I'm working on in lessons which is usually low long tones and an expanding scale every other week. The more I play high, the worse I'm at it, it seems. The more I play low, the better I am at high. Weird. :huh:

4. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I usually practice trumpet about 7-8 hours on days of no gigs, rehearsals, or performances. On gig or rehearsal days I practice less, about 4-5 hours. I usually get about 8-9 hours of playing total including practice, gigs, rehearsals, and concerts.

2.5 hours general practice often including things out of books like Arban's, Clarke's, Gordon's, and others
    3.5 hours practicing music for upcoming ensemble concerts or recitals
    1-2 hours other horns like flugel, Eb/D, piccolo(usually switching off playing only 1 or 2 per day)

I also practice more outside of this face time on the horn listening to recordings and studying theory as well physical exercise because I believe that I play much better when I'm in good shape (plus it makes me look hot):cool:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How much I practice depends on what is next on my schedule. 2-3 hours of practice daily is normal to maintain what I have. I don't have much time (or need) for developing new skills anymore. Keeping the ones that I have polished is a challenge enough! I have been spending more time with the cornetto recently though. Some great opportunities are coming up.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    1) As long as it takes to achieve your goal for the day without experiencing fatigue. Typically one can increase performance time by 20% every two weeks until a maximal time period is achieved if time is your goal.

2) Only a time period prior to frustration setting in. If frustration BEGINS to creep into your goal for the day, either change your goal or take a well deserved break, rest peacefully and practice deep breathing and come back to it at another time. KEEP THE TRUMPET PLAYING ENJOYABLE AND THE TRUMPET WILL BE VERY VERY GOOD TO YOU.

7. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Days I play with a group, I just warm-up. As I get older, the warm-up is more important. Characteristically, about 45 minutes.

On other days I work about 2 hours in addition to the 45 minutes warm-up. It should be noted that I didn't play at all from 1980 to 2009. Most of the 1980 skills are back, even though I still have problems with endurance.

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    This can happen very quickly depending on I'm working on. Sometimes you just have to work through it, and then that brings its own satisfaction.

9. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    for me its knowing when to stop, as an older new player if i overdo it then the next couple of days will be a lost so i tend to play within myself and make sure its little and often. Some days its 15 min sets, focusing on different things, on the good days when it all feels easy i play what i like to hear and challenge myself to something new.

On average 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ditto.