How long do YOU practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It varies a lot but around 3 - 4 hours a day. A lot of that is unstructured improvising along with the radio, cds and movie soundtracks. I'm not sure if this unstructured part of my playing is really getting me anywhere, so I'm readjusting to do MORE of the practice from my books, and less by ear.

Turtle

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    How long does it take to build up to these longer practice sessions multiple time a day?

I am closing in on the second year of my comeback in April. I have worked-up from 5 minutes to a solid hour of practice. If I rest about three hours or so, I can have a second more relaxed practice session lasting between 30 and 40 minutes. The Clarke Studies are perfect beacuse they should be play softly. I also try to do some articulation studies which also require focused concentration at lower volumes. If I try to do more, I start blowing airy notes and jepordize a full recovery for the next day.

I would love to do 3 practice sessions but I think it is too much for my development at the moment. I think I may be pushing it now as it is.

BrotherBACH

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Moderation is the key. You need both. I remember a tune that had a simple Bb scale run in it. 16th notes, 145 tempo, no biggy right? Well, I had been neglecting my scale practice (improving instead), so it was REALLY rough for awhile until I went back to working my scale routine.

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I do 30 min of mpc buzzing and 60 min or more of horn time on days there are no shows or rehearsals.

And not trying to hi jack, but turtlejimmy I am just way too intrigued now. If I am prying, you can tell me to shut up or just not answer, but from all your posts I gather; you are in your mid 20's, are not a professional and only been playing 9 mos, go around buying vintage used horns, are on this site ALL the time, are building a multi thousand $ practice shed and have time to practice 3-4 hours a day!?

Are you Bill Gate's kid or something? lol

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I want to expand your post...how is it folks have so much time? :-) Personally, between 50+ hrs work every week, demands of family, exercise, etc. I'm lucky to get 15 minutes a day on weekdays, maybe an hour or two a day on weekends. Are most of you professionals who play for a living?

I generally practice, like I said, maybe 15 or 20 minutes a day, in 5 or 10 minute chunks. For those five minutes though I'm totally focused on sheer repetition...lips trills, chromatics, scales, Clarke, Carusos, etc. And honestly I'm a bit amazed at my progress (compared only to myself that is). And then some days I'll focus strictly on melodic studies, sort of as a check on all the rest. I do think my "tiny chunks" of intense focus is paying off.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:

Leftmid,

I have a lot of free time because I'm a fiction writer (in between projects) but I'm only on here in the early mornings (usually). I've racked up a lot of posts in a short time (I write fast)..... that's nothing, compared to a novel (I've written 3). I WISH I was still in my 20's .... I'm not a pro musician, but I've played professionally, mostly guitar and vocals (some drums too). And everyone should have a practice shed! Mostly I need it for an office, but with a little bit of soundproofing, it'll make a great practice shed too.

Also .... NOT MARRIED. That frees up enormous amounts of time.

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If by that "solid hour" you mean that you are practicing for an hour straight with no breaks, you may benefit from breaking that hour up into 3 20 minute chunks. I find that iit easier to get in far more directed practice when I get adequate rest between (shorter) sessions.

I have also come to conclusion that marathon practice session do more harm than good, and that, perhaps counter-intuitively, they do not help that much in building endurance. This is a lesson I l;earnt from bitter experience when I was younger banging my head against a wall.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, sounds like moderation is definitely the key. I'm spending too much time playing by ear, thinking what the notes are at concert pitch, that's it's messing up the development of my (very poor) reading skills. We sort of determined that I'm getting ahead of myself. Reading skills are paramount for me right now.

Turtle

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    that is awesome, a fiction writer! I write sci fi/fantasy in my spare time, I guess the song writer in me thinks it can translate to other writing.

sorry for being nosy, just seemed like you had an inordinate amount of time on your hands!

and yes, to get back on track, you need to do all of it balanced; 'ear' playing and reading and exercises.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Fiction writing is a lot of fun ... I read a lot of sci fi novels when I was a teenager but now I write mostly thriller stories, and crime dramas and (one) western. The weird thing is, I don't write songs. I'm not sure why not .... maybe it's because I'm used to telling a story in 25,000 words (a screenplay) or more (around 90,000 for a novel). Just not enough words.:dontknow:

When I'm on a script, I don't have nearly as much free time. The writing usually takes up 5 - 6 hours a day, every day, until it's done.

Turtle