How long do YOU practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thank you for the advice. I have to figure out how to do this. I do follow "the rest as long as you play" rule of thumb. And, I do take a 5 minute break at the midway point when I finish my long tones. But, it is a fairly focused hour.

BrotherBACH

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I try to practice every day. Med school is very time consuming, so sadly that doesn't really help. I do have 3 rehearsals every week (for 3 separate bands). If I start I usually improvise a lot. When I'm bored of that, I check some of the sheets for the bands, and if that get boring, hello Arban!
    by then my embouchure needs a rest and my 'homework' want my attention

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With that said, it was my trumpet playing (and the quintet I played with throughout medical school) that kept me sane! When my classmates would ask where I was going to at the end of the day of vast volumes of med school lectures, I would simply reply, "I going to blow out my brains." And I did. And it felt good.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, and sometimes changing the goal for the practice is just that: I am going to spent the rest of the time devoting time to this one piece (section) and slowly and systematically working through it. Achieving this task after reprioritizing can be very gratifying.

5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    yes, I know the feeling. The times when I'm playing are the only ones where I really feel very relaxed. After that I kind of 'reboot' and can make a fresh start for the day.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Trumpet therapy ...... it's the new "scream" therapy.:-)

Works for me too!

Turtle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And after a couple of sessions for the price of the horn, it beats seeing the psychiatrist.

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    They always say to rest as much as you play... I also heard stories of how Maynard Ferguson when he wasn't on the road would put a trumpet on a table and not play unless he passed by that room and every time he passed by the table would pick up the trumpet and play for 5-10 minutes and by the end of the day he would have practiced 2-3 hours. Personally I don't have the time to do anything for 3-4 hours a day on a regular basis...(work, kids, home, etc.) I am currently working on a regimen of some technical studies out of the Arbans where I have about 9 different specific areas that I am working on based on the old Prescott Technique system and by the time I get through the technical studies I am usually looking at 45-60 minutes of work and then play a couple of songs for fun and then wiped out.

I think it important to practice with a purposes and I keep notes on what I have done, what I am currently working on, and what I will be working on.

I try to practice as often as possible, and every time I pick the trumpet up to play I play for at least 30 minutes but typically not more than 60 minutes.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's an excellent point about Maynard AND a big reason why I leave a trumpet out on the stand so I can just play it when I see it. Out of sight out of mind. The only problem I have is which horn do I want to play (n+1 side effect :D).

10. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I do that in a round about way. I leave my mouthpiece on the center console and buzz when I drive somewhere, so get 15min, 15 min there. It really helps with edurance and lip flexibility.