How long have these horns been around?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bruce Lee, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Trptmaster
    Administrator

How long have these horns been around?
    « Thread started on: 10/20/2003 at 22:16:03 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So how long have the Callet horns been around. I want to say I saw them in Rayburns (Boston) in the 80s but never paid much attention to them. Not a good thing or bad thing. Just never played em.

TM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    TheMoose

Re: How long have these horns been around?
    « Reply #1 on: 10/22/2003 at 00:40:09 »

Hi TM,

I'm no expert but love Callet's horns. Here is what I found out from Callet's web site.

The first Callet horn came out in 1983. "The New York" I think used a Getzen valve cluster. After undergoing a name change,The New York became the "Soloist" and later in 1988 became know by the name it currently has, "The Jazz". I could be mistaken but I believe the New York was a large bore horn, as I understand it,the expanda-bore concept came later when the name changed to the Soloist. Jerry also produced a C trumpet ,which is the brother of the Bb Jazz, two styles of Flugel horn, and a trombone. When Jerry retired recently and the production of Callet horns ground to a halt, Lee Adams stepped in a revived this line of fine custom horns. In addition to the Jazz, a new horn has appeared off the assembly line. The Stratosphere is discussed in another thread on this forum. Hope this information is helpful.

The Moose

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    BruceLee

Re: How long have these horns been around?
    « Reply #2 on: 10/22/2003 at 01:28:37 »

Thanks, Moose!

The New Yorks were as large as a .472, and were originally DEG trumpets (Donald E. Getzen), with Callet leadpipes.

The Soloist was a straight-through .470 bore, which gave way to the Jazz, with the Expandabore design. The Symphonique had all of the same spec's as the Jazz, yet had a traditional pinky "hook", as opposed to the pinky "ring", on the Jazz... and, obviously, the "classical" name.

The Symphonique C trumpet, considered the best in the .470 bore, with a copper-insulated bell section. The results are very "tonally" desirable.

The Superchops trumpet (.460 or .464) was well known as a Lead horn. It has been replaced by the new Stratosphere ML - .460 bore model, which was released in 2002.

As mentioned, the Callet "Jazz" Flugel was originally manufactured with a traditional "cornet-type" wrap of the tuning slide. The current model (available soon) features vertical slides, with a unique third slide that wraps around the lower leg of the horn.

All Callet products have tremendous projection characteristics, and feature an exceptional upper-register.

Bruce

Callet Trumpets
    Eclipse Trumpets
    Lawler Trumpets
    GR Technologies/Northern Brass mpc's
    http://www.northernbrass.com
    603-421-9178