How Long Should I Practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, May 15, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, that's the problem with a lot of practice .... the diminishing returns, where you are just spinning your wheels. Sometimes, maybe a lot of the time, it's not easy to tell, especially when there's no teacher in the picture. How can you tell when you're falling into that "mindless" area??? I mean, when you're there, how are you supposed to be present enough to tell yourself that you're just goofing off??? :dontknow:

The best thing that ever happened to my guitar playing (which I've been doing since age 15) was taking up the trumpet. It's such a difficult instrument that I had to develop a much better level of concentration just to deal with it. That spilled over to my guitar playing, which suddenly took off.

I'm feeling like, to get to the next level, I have to develop more concentration. More time practicing, by itself, won't do it. How can a person learn to develop even more concentration, when there's not a specific hurdle to get over to make it happen???

Turtle

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Check out the movie......... Limitless....... I watched it the other day all about a mind enhancing drug after watching this I thought ...mmmmmm I wonder

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    And to think that physicians practice on ME. That scares me. That and the fact that 50% of all physicians graduated in the bottom half of their class.

Last edited: May 16, 2012