How long..................

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 8, 2010.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I was wondering if anyone knows ? On the average how long does it take a trumpet player starting out.... or a comeback player like myself to get good or decent sounding where people don't make fun of you or get angry when you play/practice ,Thanks Anthony :shhh:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    That is mighty subjective...who is making fun of you, a big brother or a good trumpeter? If a sibling or a friend who is clueless, forget it. What counts is that you are willing to practice to improve. A good teacher is invaluable to the process. I am a comeback player also, and although I don't have a teacher, I have the resources available to me through of one of the country's best trumpeters who is the minister of music in my church, other trumpeters in the community, and a solid foundation in music to fall back on.

Don't get discouraged, you will improve with consistent, structured practice. Those fundamentals you learned before are still sound and will not fail you. If you can connect up with a mentor or tutor, do it. I still call my band director from 37 years ago, and he still puts me through some tough excercises, but I continue to see improvement in my tone, breathing, endurance and range.

Finally, be cool, and have fun, especially if it isn't your livelihood, but a passion, enjoy it!!! :cool:

3. garrett786

garrett786 New Friend

Sep 24, 2009
    Louisiana
    I'm a beginner, i've played for about 3 years now, and my dad got back to it in about 3 to 4 weeks. He's got himself a Calicchio and is now playing "Call On Me" from "Chicago". I'm first chair in 5th grade(better than all my students because i've been playing before they started) and if you are a comeback then it should be easy for you. Keep practicing! I promise you anyone can play the trumpet, but music is what trumpets are here for. Practice, Practice, And Practice.
    Just Keep Trying and Don't give Up. Good Luck!

4. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Anthony... I think it would be very hard for anyone to accurately answer your question -- it depends on too many factors, ie, how much time and energy are you prepared to put into playing? What are your goals and expectations? How frequently, how long and how well do you practice,? Do you have a teacher? Based on your previous experience, do you have a realistic idea about your potential? As a comeback player myself (51 year layoff -- yes, 51), after one year back I feel pretty good about my progress (I am probably better now that when I was at age 22 and playing weekend gigs). I practice 1-2 hours a day, including warmups, exercises (Arban and others); I have a good teacher; and I play in a community band. The only downside is that at age 74 it is probably as good as it is going to get. Good luck...

5. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    I'm a comeback player and it took me a solid six weeks to have a decent sound let alone be proficient in advanced etudes. This site helped me a lot to focus on the fundamentals and practice smart. A lot of buzzing, long tones and tone came back. The important thing for me was not to get fatigued and not play what I used to play. Fundamentals, air, firm corners, a lot of Clark. Fortunately I'm beyond that and am working on more technical stuff, thanks heavens!

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    thanks Johnande 74 huh..... I turned 59 this pasr December played now one year and one month have a teacher that is a pro. and I am playing everday with one day off and I thank ALL of you for you help ,Anthony

7. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Very good question anthony, I'm in the same boat and there isn't a day that I ask myself if I'm not being just plain stupid for wanting to play this crazy piece of brass tubing, but I love it and thanks to TM I'm not alone there are a lot of us willing to spend the time to practice and practice some more to be better, if Doc can do it at 82 then I can at least try at 64. I am playing better all the time and it forces me to get and stay in better shape especialy in the wind department. Good luck and keep on buzzin. CW

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Carroll thanks for your reply I ask myself the same thing everyday and my wife tells me you do it because you love it and I think she is right !! good luck to you too ,Anthony

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahhh - the secret of the comeback player - support from your wife. It doesn't get better than that.

Long, quiet, slow, musical sounds - play stuff you like, get back into your scales, join a community band - mix with musos not just the cyber mob you find here - enjoy, and practice, practice, practice - too easy really.

Oh, and bottom line, it takes forever, but this forever keeps you young. Understand and accept your own limitations and be as good as you can be, oh and keep us posted please.

10. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Understanding neighbors and family. without these we have a problem, as even when we have a good sound and excellent technique hearing the same exercises or even the same beautiful etude over and over again, day after day, to achieve perfection can be very demanding for even the most sympathetic ears. Also I work hardest on the things I can't do, this can make the situation worse. My family know my daily routine almost as well as I do.