How many hours a day do you practice the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zebra, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Zebra

Zebra Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2014
    I read here much more than I type here. At my current proficiency level I'm quite sure that is the prudent participation quotient. However I am interested in the practice time of many of the folks here I have come to respect. To be clear I am not asking how much time I should practice. I'm a big boy and understand my practice time is a confluence of my goals as a comeback player up against the demands of my life etc and an innate knowledge of more practice equals more skill. My practice schedule is mine to battle with and figure out for myself. I am interested though in the dedication of others, be it those that earn a living with their efforts and those that earn a joy with their efforts. So how much do you play a day to get to the proficiency level you are seeking. Any information about your amount of gigs that you are working towards, your goals as a trumpet player, your role as a professional, or a casual player etc would of course give context that would be enjoyable to understand.

Thanks in advance,

Zebra

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am a comeback player: no real expectations about making a fortune. I play for my own enjoyment, but want to play the best I can.
    Normally I start the day with about 45mins to 1 hour practice daily, Mon-Friday.

I play regularly with 4 bands, so have a fair number of hours per week at rehearsals.
    Concert Band is Saturday Mornings 9am to noon.
    Concert Band plays 4 main gigs per year, and a resident band at a Museum once every 6 weeks or so. That is about 1 hour on a Sunday.
    The 4 main gigs are: March - about 15 tunes over 2 hours, June is a full production, about 30 tunes with singers etc 3 hours of playing. We play another concert usually at Queenscliff - a resort town in September - again 2 hours and 15 tunes, then a final concert in November (this is on tomorrow) about 2 hours. And we do a Christmas Carols at Altona each year - about 3 hours,
    Apart from the Museum, all others are new music, the Museum gig has a book of about 35 tunes which we never rehearse, just hand them out and sight read the selected tunes on the day.

Big Band - we rehearse typically every Thursday 8pm to 10pm, and do usually 3 to 4 gigs a year. These are maybe 3 sets of 15 tunes.
    We have a gig book of 5 sets of 15 tunes we know, and an active library of a couple of hundred tunes.

Trad Jazz Band - rehearses on Wednesdays 6-30pm to 8-30pm, and is primarily a rehearsal Band, with just 2 gigs a year. An active library of about 35 tunes.

A Light Orchestra - rehearses on Tuesday evenings 7-30 to 9-30pm. We do 3 to 4 gigs per year - a higher level of musicians, and we would only do 3 maybe 4 rehearsals before any gig.

There is a Deep Brass Group, that I have left off this year, but will get back with them next year- usually play Eupho with them. Sunday rehearsals and 2 to 3 gigs per year.

Any money usually goes back into the coffers of the group, to keep it operating. Fees apply to most groups, which are modest and reasonable.

I am just a hack player, but enjoy playing, and I hope the group and the audience enjoy the fun as much as I do. I want to be the best I can be at what I am doing.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Oh I left off the important part,

I usually take a trumpet lesson on a Friday evening, a Trombone lesson every other or third Monday evening, and probably a lesson every 18 months with Greg Spence.

If you are having problems , then get the best face to face player/teacher you know of, to guide/help you. Saves ulcers and gives direction.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I also am a comeback. As I work 50-55 hrs a week, have 2 kids in extra caricular activities and a 4 week old baby, practice time is crucial! I probably get about an hour a day sometimes a little more, all broken up into 10-15 minutes with a longer session in the evening. Some days, sometimes two in a row I don't even get to be in the same room as my horn till my head hits the pillow and by then I'm out. Mostly I practice the music I'm playing in band, some music I just play to play because I like to play it, and some the kids like but I do alway get some scales and slurs in

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    As a high school senior going into music school, my situation is understandably a little different than a lot of the people on here. Besides school ensemblles, the greater buffalo youth orchestra, and the buffalo silver band, I try to do 2 hours a day. 45 minute warm up every day before school, and then half an hour during a free period and 45 minutes later in the afternoon.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I practice one to two hours a day, and skip practice when playing gig days in which case I play from 3-4 hours those days. With that said, it's not so much the time but accomplishing the task I have for the day.

The tasks can very from rehearsing charts the bands I will be playing with for that week (TrumpetMD - I have your charts down, and I mean DOWN), to working through rudiment books, to just serenading the turkey on Thanksgiving day while I sat outside smoking the lovely bird for several hours with my Harmon muted pocket trumpet (Wanted to roast the turkey, not the neighbors).

Each day for the time I play, I rotate a different horn with their own horn mouthpiece-combination.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At your tender young age, do you really need a 45 minute warm up? Even at my age, that amount of time is not required. I warm up for 5 minutes, check the obituaries, and if my name is not on the list, complete the rehearsal session.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wimp!:roll:

9. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I've found that this really does help me. I use the wiff rudd warm up book, terry Everson suggested it this summer while I was at tanglewood. It has made a huge difference in my playing, and how it feels throughout the day. I wouldn't do it if I didn't think I needed it.

Also, tender age though I may be, I have been playing trumpet for ten years now.

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    At least one hour every day, but as in basketball without counting the rest time (tested with a stopwatch).
    This corresponds to about two hours in the practice room (this is the minimum below which I never go).
    Some days hard for me, since I'm now almost 72, but I want to improve as long as I can.