How many hours a day do you practice the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zebra, Nov 28, 2015.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    About 2 hours a day. I usually have a day a week that I only get an hour, and sometimes gigs. I'm lucky to have a very understanding wife, since sometimes I get home from work and practice until bedtime.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    6 days a week, my practice routine seems similar to Dupac's, in that I'm only counting the time I've an instrument to my lips and am playing. I don't play on Sundays unless I'm soloing in church. Praise bands are unknown in this area. Too, I'm 79 with my health declining. I've good days and bad days also. Too, I play mostly student instruments comparable to what my few beginning students use. I "make do"!

3. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Average two hours a day, and rarely miss a day...

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My significant other that works the third shift has related an understanding to me that I have to work around her sleep schedule. Even with a sound proof room, she still claims to hear the sound that filters through the vents.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    All that I can brother--all that I can. Might be an hour, might be two or more, and there are those days when it's less. And that's just time practicing--not warming up (though I really don't need much of a warm-up--10 to 15 minutes at most) nor time rehearsing (3 bands every week and an orchestra periodically). At least that much keeps me from losing ground--not enough to make much progress on technique, range, endurance, etc.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    let's see -- I've been a comebacker for about 7 years now (with a 10yr break in my previous day's practice before that) --- a year or two I did about an hour a day --- then I bumped that up to (3hrs a day) for the next 3 years, then back to an hour or so a day the last year or two ----- since I am an underachiever (and in my community band I sit 3rd chair which isn't challenging) - ---- haven't been back since summer break ------ BUT REALLY, I intend to go back for the summer series of concerts ---------------- ROFL ---------------------- I'm sure they miss me ---------------- ROFL ----------------------- so the last 4 or so months ----I've been struggling again with a sore jaw ------------------- been practicing about and hour every other day, some days more, some less depending on how bad the jaw feels ---------------------------------but since I can play everything from a low G below the staff to a C -- 2 octaves above the staff ----------------------who cares how long I practice?????? --- the hour or so every other day only seems to affect my endurance ------ which I won't need much of for community band when I return there in April or so.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If your "sound proof room" is not on a separate HVAC system, it is not soundproof, just sound diminishing.

Too, if you were to go to another room and just listen to your own recording you'll note that the sound has been severely distorted by the duct piping.

My wife claims she hears my YSB but such is softer than the sound she has on the TV. I'm not laughing because it came to a point in our last house where she would hear a faucet drip and tell me whether it was in the kitchen or in one of the specific bathrooms, and she was right. I was about to ask if it was a hot or cold water spigot, but I didn't dare, although I wanted to. Had I, she'd likely have been right again and I'd never have lived it down.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Never going to catch me at this rate... unless you drive 5 hours to see me gig. The only way as I see it.:-P

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm on the horn on average 2 hours a day, which is mostly maintenance practice. Depends on what I'm gigging though.

Typically, I practice enough to maintain technique and either learn, or stay on top of the music I need to know for upcoming gigs because virtually all of my practice is gig-centric.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I appreciate Zebra's recognition that we all have different goals. What's good for one person may not be good for someone else.

I have a regular day job, so I assume that makes me a casual player.

I practice 60-90 minutes a day. I practice 7 days a week, unless I'm taking a day off to recover from a heavy gig. No practice on days I have a gig. I break up my practice into thirty-minute segments. Big picture, I usually divide my practice equally among chop stuff, fundamentals, and music.

I primary play in a jazz trio, and perform 2-3 times a month.

Mike