How many hours a day do you practice the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zebra, Nov 28, 2015.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Looking forward to playing with you next weekend. :cool:

Mike

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There you have it. Two out of two doctors recommend as the prescription to success.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    as Keith Fiala once told me about practicing ----- "you need to listen to your body, and only practice in a way that it does not negatively impact your playing"

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO this is beginning to intermix practice with rehearsal as to a point they do merge, but I don't believe they do to the extent of preparation for a "gig" as I feel is more towards rehearsal whether done privately or with others. Practice substantially falls in two elements only ... maintenance and learning, the latter as may include new music or exercise.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mike, I too break my own practice in 30 minute segments with a minimum of 15 minutes rest with a sip or more of water hydration.

For my beginning students I put them on a 20 minute alternating "lip time" playing with minimum 20 minute rest. During their rest I discuss or demonstrate. My tutoring sessions are for a full hour of their "lip time" unlike many other teaching / instruction platforms. That's an hour and 40 minutes duration. I have days that I think such is no more than baby sitting between their school bus dropping them off and a parent/guardian picking them up after their work.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have an industry day job, but think that I could be called a professional with over 100 gigs per year.

I have one of my various trumpets on my face anywhere from 2 to 6 hours per day depending. I have a daily 45 minute routine that is NOT warming up. I think that the definition of practice is different depending where you are. If you are in a very "developmental" stage, you work on technique, flexibility, range, transposition, tone, endurance. If you are performing extensively, you spend more time on balance than on targeting specific aspects. For instance, when I play natural trumpet, I work on the whole package, accuracy, trills, intervals, clean attack. I do this mostly with the repertory to be played. When I play piccolo trumpet, I play almost exclusively tunes to get some natural flow. Heavy orchestra playing needs a balance of power and tone - if I am comming from the picc, long tones are in order to get the sound concept back. When I play cornetto, holding the damn thing is the most work. I have small hands and the right hand fingerings are challenging if I haven't been stretching.

A very integral part of my day is body use exercizes and breathing. They aid everything in life that I do, so may not be deemed by all to be part of the trumpet routine.

I would say that serious starts at 3 hours of really intensive dealing with what we are uncomfortable with. 6 hours of face time does not mean anything in my world.

7. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    When ever my school has a show or a piece with many trumpet solos, I would practice anywhere from 3-5 hours no lie. But when we are just playing normal music I do about 2.
    I play Trumpet for my own enjoyment, but do eventually want to join a small band when I get out of school.

8. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    I'm variable depending on work and gigs. Typically I take a day or 2 off a week (due to work) and practice trumpet and bass on the other 5-6 days. Since I gig both instruments regularly I practice similar amounts of time on each - if I am short on time I will do more tpt. There's a lot of crossover material especially in jazz where I can learn language on both instruments and transfer it - getting it into the ear and head is the first hurdle. Singing is good for that.

Every day I like to break my sessions into 1 hour (or thereabouts) sessions. First I play a brief warmup (ala Roger Ingram) then I play through the Frank Minear routine, then continue to do maintenance and fundamentals. I really focus on the quality of what I do here. Second session onwards I do the first two pages of the Minear to get the blood flowing again and focus on important stuff IE upcoming gig material, shedding language, sound, ear training, transcribing, scales, drills, patterns, tonguing etc... I guess I do between 1-4 hours a day of trumpet (when lucky I get more), probably 2 on average and 1-3 hours a day on bass, so on average I'd say 1.5. The quality of your time on the horn is SO important. I am always trying to improve this. I hate wasted time, it achieves nothing and when time is short as it is you gotta make it count. When pushed I take my horn with me and just try find some minutes here and there. I hate using the practice mute which makes this harder. Time on TH or TM is basically when I can't shed and want to feel like I am being productive. HA!

Mike

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow -- that's terrific ---- I think for some of us, having over a hundred gigs a year and a full time job would be more than our bodies could handle ----- perhaps even in the mental aspect, it might be more concentration on trumpet than we could discipline ourselves to do. I'm somewhere between, maintaining (range and playing ability -- NOT endurance) and also improving enough in playing technique --- that I am "happy" with my hobby of playing trumpet ----- if it became too much like a profession, I'm certain I would quit. but that's me

10. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    I practice an hour, more or less, every weekday.

On the weekends I may or may not play and if I do, I play almost or over 2 hours.

Never needed a warm-up, not even sure what that is when you do it before practice.