How many of you play in your car?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmcmurry, Oct 13, 2007.

1. gmcmurry

gmcmurry Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2007
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    OK I admit.... I have a pocket trumpet in my car for playing when I get stuck in a traffic jam or maybe have time to kill between appointments.

Greg

2. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I have not done it before, but I did catch my old teacher playing his picc while driving. Can't be safe. I buzz from time to time while in traffic, its a great warmup on the way to a morning gig.

3. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I've done it. I prefer buzzing, but I've done it a few times with a pocket trumpet. I have a friend who does it routinely.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

One of my teachers has been pulled over while buzzing on his way to work (probably thought it was some a little less legal)

5. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I keep a mouthpiece in my car at all times... who knows when ill get bored driving... usually every day!

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I buzz in the car but I attach 8 feet of tigon tube to the mouthpiece. I can often play along with classical music and a surprising number of Maynard Ferguson tunes. Attach an automatic transmission funnel and you'll have a trombone in Bb without the slide.

We have discussed this on other threads so It is common to buzz in the car.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  7. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    haha thats awesome! I got a half hour walk to school maybe I shoukd consider it =O. But i'd probably end up looking like a fruit. Funny though =)

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Please! When you drive, drive. When you practice, practice. I don't want to seee anyone in traffic doing anything other than concentrating on driving. I don't want to see anyone putting on makeup, talking on cell phones (and you know who you are), texting or practicing. Driving is the most dangerous thing anyone does in this modern life so for god's sake do it with all your awareness. Put the freaking trumpet down!

Michael McLaughlin

9. Brad

Brad New Friend

Nov 23, 2004
    Minnesota
    I will agree it is not safe, but I have done it. I limit myself to playing while my car is stopped. One day I was playing (car stopped) with my windows open and I hear laughing. I look to my right and a police officer is laughing at me. I asked if I should put my horn away and he indicated that might be a good idea. He didn't answer when I asked if it was worse than talking on the phone.

Brad

10. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Wow, that's a great idea. I would have never thought of that.