How many of you play in your car?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmcmurry, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Sometimes if I have a gig and I have to pick up a band member, I will get to their place early and warm up in the car while they get ready. I only do this if there is no time prior to leaving to warm up, such as really early morning gigs.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

I see others driving their automobiles while talking on their cell/mobile phones which is quite menacing at times. I assume you practice your pocket trumpet while the vehicle is parked?:D

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I play all the time when I drive. I also talk on the phone all the time. I have been doing this for years and no accidents. It's really easy. Usually when I'm playing I have talk radio on too. CAKE!!!

4. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    When you are driving, drive. Stay aware of the other drivers and changes in road conditions.

When you are practicing, practice. Playing notes on a trumpet when you aren't completely focused on what you are playing is just going through the motions - it isn't really practicing. It is impossible to drive safely and really be practicing at the same time.

And having been cutoff many times by drivers who are too busy talking on the phone or doing any manner of non-driving things, I can be reasonably certain that you aren't driving as well as you think either. Even if you've had no accidents, it doesn't mean you haven't completely stressed numerous other drivers out there!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a full time day job and little time to practice. I don't get better by playing in the car but it keeps up my chops so I can practice when I have a chance.

Maybe we should take out all GPS systems and radios. Are they not a distraction? No coffee in the morning either. Seats that are too comfortable are no good too. People could fall asleep on a long trip.
    Now that I think of it, no kids in the car, they are a huge distraction.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think there is a BIG difference between buzzing on a mouthpiece in the car and "practicing"!
    I agree that any concentrated activity other than driving behind the wheel is not "healthy". Buzzing to whatever tune is playing does not have to be dangerous unless you have the rear view mirror set up for an embouchure check!
    Let's promote safe driving habits and optimal use of otherwise "dead" time.

7. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    i keep an old jet-tone of mine (studio B ) in the car with a "buzz thing" on the other end
    it's not the one you clamp on the horn, you put it in the receiver then the mouthpeice goes in that / it's not really practicing on my pocket trumpet ,tho i've tried, steering wheel gets in the way / so i use that "equipment" in the car for mostly breathing exercises and keep the chops in shape due to working 12 hour days / it's a good 20-30 minute commute time spent well / traffic sucks.............
    aloha

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, B15M,

Maybe the other drivers are looking out for you and stay clear. If I saw a driver practicing a horn going down the freeway, I'd probably find a safe place to pull over and cell phone the authorities.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I buzz every once in a while but I don't play.

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I go to Colorado for the month of July and since I get up early and my wife likes to sleep late, I go to the parking lot of the hotel. I sit in the passenger seat of the rental car and get a good 2-3 hour session in using my practice mute. I prop the books/music on the dash and am usually good and warmed up by the time the sun rises and can get my full routine of practice in before she gets up and we head to the destination of the day.

One of the groundskeepers meets me when he gets to work and brings me coffee about 7:00 A.M..

Once a week I will take short breaks and get a couple of loads of laundry going during my practice sessions. There is no one using the machines at 5:00 A.M.

I know this isn't exactly what the thread was refering to but I do practice in my car.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida