How many trumpet players actually use dynamics when they play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Markie, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The problem starts with the student's teacher , be it private or school band teacher, their more interested in teaching a student only how to play an instrument and not how to be a musician. These students unfortunately are being taught how to play only notes and not music.

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Something that has to be considered is where you are playing. If you are playing outside in a park or inside in a small space or a grand hall, etc. This comes to mind as I am coming back to playing and preparing to play something for church which happens to be a very small space. And the first thing that comes up is volume control. Playing in the smaller space with an audience will meaning toning down the volume compared to playing in my lessons or practicing at home in my basement. The other beneficial thing that I started about 2 weeks ago was getting with some other brass players and playing with them. I noticed a couple of keys is staying in tune and rhythm with them. When you play in a quartet e.g. you will hear very quickly if you are blasting everyone else out or if you are blending well with the other instruments.

... So I suppose my recommendation is for people to play music with others and it will naturally cause you to improve. (Or at least for a non-professional like myself it will be incredibly helpful.)

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    During the summer months I play a lot of outdoor park concerts with an 18 piece jazz band, and when an arrangement calls for a ppp , it's played ppp, in or outside dynamics are dynanics.

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    True, dynamics are dynamics, and I also agree important. But I would still contend that a Forte played outside will be louder than a Forte played in a small setting or you would be blowing away the audience in the smaller setting.

5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    The one thing I have not heard anyone address in more detail yet is how the music speaks to a person or peaks one's interest. The ability to produce and appreciate music is one of the main things that differentiates us from the animals. Music, real music, should effect one on the inside, it should touch us emotionally.

As a parent and a grandparent I have always tried to expose the kids to different things to see what interests them. I think music teachers should do the same. I am not a music teacher but I am teaching my granddaughter to play the trumpet, I think I spend as much time trying to explain the different emotions we can express with the horn as I am teaching technical exercises.

Personally I work more on 'FEEL' than on technical issues because I know there are far more technically adept players than I. I want someone to be more affected by how my music made them feel than how amazed they were at my technical ability. Don't get me wrong, I think both are very important and the really good players will be proficient at both but I will always remember the best compliment I ever got, about a year ago someone came up to me after church and told me I made them cry. __________________________________________________________
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Lack of dynamics is a problem for beginner students mainly because they are trying too hard. So any note they get out of the horn, in their mind, is a good note. As well, I found that many play with short gaps in sound between phrases or bars. It's usually subtle, but there. When they're shown what they sound like it usually cures the problem, because they don't initially realize they're doing it. I think part of the problem is bad teachers who stress their students. A lot of teachers are people who can play; it doesn't mean you can teach.:cool:

7. Bugler

Bugler Banned

I played a gig once with a real good parade band, lots of great music, lots of screaming blah blah blah. The band leader was a trumpet player who did all of the music arrangements. he asked us to rehearse a piece of music, I forget the number, but there were no dynamics written. Someone brought this up and he said "I didn't write dynamics because the legit players take them seriously"..........

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope,
    the Forte outdoors is not louder. We get wasted more outdoors because we do not hear ourselves as well and THAT causes the less mature player to not play as "carefully.

For the sake of argument, I think that all players learn in phases and for many, the LOUD phase comes before the "dynamic" phase. That would also correspond to the chop and brain development too. Earlier on, we simply use force to get certain things working. It is true that there are players that NEVER leave the force stage.

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I don't know how many trumpet players use dynamics, but all musicians do.

10. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    I wasn't going to go there, but I'm glad someone did!