How Much? and How Often?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stumac, Mar 24, 2013.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Stumac,

That is really interesting. Never knew the saliva possibility before. There has to be a good Saturday Night Live routine for this somewhere- the poor factory guy who has to drool into the bottle that you will use when it is time to lubricate. YeAh, weird thought. :-)

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Preventive Maintenance

Maybe Ted (tedh1951), from Australia, will weigh in on this thread. He is a retired maintenance engineer. My experience from a long career in general construction and facilities engineering suggests that if you wait to oil valves until they become sluggish, wear is already occurring at a slowly increasing rate. Light oiling before each use appears to me to be consistent with Preventive Maintenance good practices, especially if each use consists of lots of use.
    Jim

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    cars have an OIL PUMP -- which is automatic, gosh, you would have thought someone with a CAMARO would know how it works!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    STUMAC ---- dude, why didn't you tell me this before -- that I only need half a drop of oil??? I wondered how the 10 drops of oil/valve dripped out of the valve casings -- all this time, I thought my valves were WORE so I needed to ADD MORE OIL ----- and ALL THESE YEARS I have been wasting valve oil!!!????? ROFL ROFL ROFL --- but I don't have any RED ROT!!! yeah, I get oil dripping out the bell also ---- BUT NO RED ROT. ROFL ROFL ROFL

perhaps that is another thread -- HOW MUCH OIL SHOULD WE DUMP DOWN THE LEADPIPE???? I mean come on, I am NOT THE ONLY TM'er here that oils his valves this way!!!! -- or you other guys who turn the horn upside down and oil through the holes in the bottom caps ---- YEAH YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I used Blue Juice until I got my Martin Committee back from Tom Green. I emailed him asking him what he did to the valves as even though he said they were in perfect condition, the valves were lightening fast. Much faster than when I sent it to him for lacquer treatment ONLY. He said he used Ultra Pure, and I was sold on the spot. So I use Ultra Pure for all my horns at this time.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You could write a research paper on all the methods for oiling the trumpet, each with its own pros and cons. Most popular are removing the valve- which runs the possibility of damaging the valve surface when it is out of the casing, and the possibility of cross threading when reinstalling. There is the through the slide oiling, which can introduce garbage from in the slides and puts the oil toward the lower half of the valve chamber. There is through the bottom holes, which moves all of the trash accumulating in the bottom cap back up on the valves, and who knows what else. Then there is the proper amount and frequency questions.

Chances are, many work pretty well, even though they may have a negative. My poor 1962 Olds Super grew up on spay silicone, then juices like Al Cass. For about 10 years I used just plain kerosene and then lamp oil. The last 5 have been blue juice. What is amazing it the compression I have on the valves after almost 50 years. Wish I had a video for you to see and hear the solid, loud pop you get when you pull a slide. Somehow, Olds knew what they are doing.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Gmonady,

I drive a 16 year old Volvo 850 with over 320,000 Ks on the clock as my daily driver. It does not miss a beat, has a service every 5K (books ask for 15K) and gets looked after, as soon as anything abnormal is noticed it is fixed. I want to see 1,000,000 out of her. It gets a Daily pre-start, water, oils, washer, lights, tyres etc. I check the oil often when travelling as well. I know I can get in it and drive a 2,000K round trip without a problem, and can transport my family safely.

As with all my cars.
    My fleet consists of 1 x Volvo, 1 xLandrover Discovery, 1 x Jaguar, 1 x Triumph TR6. And they get maintenance as required.

I travel approx 50K per year on roads. So far no accidents and no Roos or Emus on my front bar. This happens by practicing Safe Defensive Driving, and sound maintenance, not by accident.:-)

I love fishing, but have been known to throw the whole rod and reel overboard if it fails under pressure. I expect my gear to perform, if it does not then it is not up to the task (That's my view towards all my gear -horns, cars, fishing or whatever). My job is to maintain it to meet the performance required under pressure.

If my horn fails at a performance, then I have failed to maintain it correctly - that will not happen due to a lack of oiling. That happens at school, not acceptable for anyone who owns their own gear. IMO

Cheers

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I read a Conn brochure for the 40B and they advise the use of distilled water as the lubricant. "Only inferior horns need valve oil", they said. Something to consider if you want a 40B.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Whatever you do, Peter, please don't throw them overboard!! I'll come and get 'em!

10. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I use Al Cass oil. Seems to need oil once at the beginning of playing and near the end of an hour to an hr and a half of near continuous practice. I have spilled some on the bedspread in the room where I practice (don't tell the wife) and it evaporates. I think I would prefer an oil that doesn't. I have another unopened bottle so it will be about six months before I run out....will probably try ultra pure after that based on Gmonady's testimony.