How much did you practice in college?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey guys/girls!

I'm doing a survey for a project and wondered if a bunch of you could answer a simple few questions...

1. How much did you practice (on average) while you were an undergrad?

2. How much did you practice as a graduate?

3. If you didn't get your graduate, how much did you practice in comparison from senior year to freshman year?

4. What caused you to practice more or less in college?
    A. Intense lesson rep
    B. Reality check of graduating and having to get a job
    C. Naturally motivated
    D. Maturity as you got older

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

My first two years in college 2-3 hours a day. Then I got married and probably about 45-90 minutes per day.

About an hour a day. I was teaching while getting my graduate degree and I was married. I'd go to school and practice in my band room from about 5:00-6:00 before students got there. Then I'd tech lessons from 6:00-7:30 when class started.

3. If you didn't get your graduate, how much did you practice in comparison from senior year to freshman year?

A. Intense lesson rep
    C. Naturally motivated

B- Less when I got a job.

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Since I ended up going to a school that wasn't performance based, I found myself practicing quite a bit. A couple hours a day was not uncommon. Of course that probably doesn't compare to some of those performance based schools.

n/a

Haha, well freshman year was kind of a blur. But I belive I stayed with the whole couple/few hours a day. My last year (2nd semester) I practed up to 4 hours a day due to an important audition I did (coming right out of school and all)

I pick a mix of A, B and C. I chose challenging rep just because I knew I wouldn't progress if I chose easy stuff. I didn't need a reality check, I KNEW that I would need a job. If I couldn't get a job playing the trumpet then I would have wasted a lot of money.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    1. About 2 hours a day as a freshman; increasingly more to about 5 hours max. Got to the point where I would blow off classes to hit the practice room...and stay until the custodial staff kicked me out..."Hi my name is Tpter1 and I'm a trumpaholic"...

2. About the same during summers; during the year less, cause I was teaching. More like 1-2 hours a day, but there were the odd occasions where I could get 3-5 hours on a given day.

4. I guess more like A and C; as my level increased, my rep got more intense, and vice versa.

5. trptcolin

trptcolin New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    Athens, GA
    1. It gradually increased. Sometimes I'd go an entire week without practicing during my first two years! Then I realized I'd better shape up so I could play a recital, so I got up to like an hour a day (junior year). Then I realized I wanted to try to do this for a living and eventually got up to 2-3 hours a day (senior year), just trying to kind of learn the horn, really...

2. For my MM, 2 hours of quintet every weekday, plus an hour warm-up class, plus 2-3 other ensembles at any given time, plus maybe 2 hours or so on my own---just beating myself up. Now, working on my DMA and a bunch of side stuff, I probably average 2-2.5 hours on my own each day.

3. N/A

4. Probably all of the options, but mostly natural motivation and wanting to get a job. I have to point out that I'm not really practicing much more (since senior year of undergrad, anyway), just much smarter.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    1. 2-4 hours daily
    2. 6-9 hours daily
    4. C. Naturally motivated? Our trumpet class was relatively small, but you could walk into the music building anytime during hours and hear somebody practicing. After hours you couldn't walk in, but usually you could still hear somebody practicing. That was normal.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    1. 3-4 Hours daily

2. 4-5 Hours daily

3. N/A

C. Naturally motivated
    A. Intense lesson rep
    B. Reality check of graduating and having to get a job(also qualifying for grants - my parents didn't have much money and I was dependent on external funding)

I think you need one more question:
    5) could you have more efficiently structured your time and got the same things accomplished knowing what you know today?

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    As an undergraduate I did maybe two hours a day, then maybe three in grad school. Three was enough to get done anything, more seemed to bring diminishing returns. Efficiency of practice is important. In grad school there was also so much rehearsing and performing more practice just wasn't possible.
    Now (25 years after grad school) it depends on what I'm doing. I pretty much have figured out what it takes for me to stay in shape to do what I need to do, and if something unusual looms on the horizon I know what I need to do to accomplish it. Mostly I just try to play a lot and have fun and do what I enjoy. Having a good number of private students (right now I have about seven) keeps one focused on fundamentals.

Michael McLaughlin

9. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX

It varied significantly from week to week. Some weeks it was 3 hours a day, others it was 30 minutes a day. As a music ed major, I was swamped with coursework and squeezed in practice time whenever I could. This lack of conistency in my schedule really forced me to learn to focus and make 30 minutes just as effective as 3 hours.

2-3 hours a day, consistently, but only 6 days a week. I always take a day off.

A. Intense lesson rep
    C. Naturally motivated

I would say it was mostly C or D. Sure I had hard reperotire to practice, but it wasn't that or the fear of getting a job that motivated (and still motivates) me to practice. I practice because I love playing the trumpet and I am always striving to improve. If I didn't enjoy doing this I would be doing something else.

10. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    im in college right now, im in my first year and am practicing about 1-2hrs a day. im naturally motivated by the level of competition here and youre kind of forced if you dont want to just to be compete.