How much is my trumpet worth?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by JonathanR, Dec 5, 2016.

1. JonathanR

JonathanR New Friend

Dec 5, 2016
    Nashville
    I've decided to find a new home for the horn I played in high school. It deserves more attention than I can give it. Before I throw it on eBay, I was hoping someone could give me a realistic idea of what it's worth.

It's a Stradivarius Model 43 with serial number 145372. It comes complete with a sticky valve and a few dents and dings in the bell, etc. from a younger, more careless me. It has its original case as well. I realize this trumpet is old, but I have no idea what it is worth in its condition and/ or if anybody would actually want to buy it.

I've attached a few pics. Thanks SO MUCH for any info you have!

Jonathan

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    $500-$1000. It's a Strad so value is big but a sticking valve is a curse. I would say the lower end of my guesstimation

3. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Get the valve attended to first and you'll have an easier time selling it.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    A late 1970s Strad in good condition and a Bach case is probably worth around $1000 on eBay. Maybe a little more. Maybe a little less. But I agree with Dennis78 and Veery715, that the valve is a problem. With a sticky valve, the value of the horn goes down.

Sometimes, I think it's best to sell a trumpet "as is", and not put money into repairs before selling it. But a bad valve changes things. It might be something very simple (like the horn needs to be cleaned), something very expensive, or anything in between.

You can try to sell it "as is", with the warning that the valve sticks. Maybe someone will take the risk and buy it. Or you can take it to a tech, to see what the problem is. It might be something simple. And if it is, it would improve the value of the horn.

Mike

5. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Seems like it would sell for $500 with the sticky valve, $1000 with it working, and fixing the valve would cost $100-300. No brainer. Just get the quote on the repair first. If the piston is so worn that it needs to be replated, that would be expensive. But either having a bit of corrosion or a slight ding in the slide causing the valve casing to pinch a little are more common problems.

Make sure all the slides pull, too.

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Have you tried oiling it yet? It seems like you haven't played it in a while, that could be the probe... also how sticky? As in it won't go up or down at all? Or is it just slow?

7. JonathanR

JonathanR New Friend

Dec 5, 2016
    Nashville
    Wanted to say thanks for all of the info. guys!

Finally got some coin to drop it off at a brass instrument shop here in Nashville to make sure everything is clean and in proper working order before selling. All of the info. helped a ton and will put up ad with new pics when the work is done to see if anybody's interested.

8. JonathanR

JonathanR New Friend

Dec 5, 2016
    Nashville
    Hey, guys. This trumpet will be up on eBay shortly if anyone is interested. My starting bid is $250 (to cover the cost of the recent service/ repairs). The rest is up to y'all! Thanks again for the help!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/232344353616?