How much oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 7, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    10.6 drops of LaTromba T per valve applied holding the completely dry valve at 30°. Spin the piston once in the casing at 6 RPM before tightening up the valve caps.

This only works on Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. My valves are never dirty or stick on the other days. ;-)

Typical valve casing/pistons really belong in the dumb invention department. There is no forced lubrication and with very few exceptions, the valve geometry does not match that of the hand, there is a cursed hole on the bottom end cap that keeps dry cleaners in business!

The only way to correctly oil, is to remove the piston and end caps, swab the casing until it is clean and dry, do the same to the pistons, then oil and reinsert. You need to use enough that the whole piston has a thin film over it. It everything must be dry as oil floats on water - no protection!

Due to the stupid design, it doesn't matter if you use too much oil, the excess drips onto your pants through the hole in the end cap.

2. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yep, and sometimes there is just no explaining the spots on your fly and surrounding material. Just have to smile and say "Was it good for you, too?"

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Friend

Sep 22, 2010
    Dallas Texas
    The problem with most oil today is that it is too thin. My repair man gave me a great tip
    Buy a bottle of STP Motor Oil Treatment (usually about .99)
    Coat the bottom of the oil brand you are using and shake together. It works well on any brand of Trumpet and lasts a long time.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not sure what's in STP. So my comments are not about STP specifically, but about these types of products in general.

Valve oil is basically a mineral oil, or the chemical equivalent of a mineral oil (ie, medium chain branched alkanes). Of course, you should use it correctly and safely. But in the grand scheme of things, these oils are fairly benign.

Engine treatments and other types of industrial chemicals may not be so safe.

Mike

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Too... thin? For what? Worn out valves?

I can tell you that my repairman (whose name I shall not drop) specifically told me to get a thin oil for my rebuilt valves. I could actually tell the difference in valve speed between a thin, slick oil such as Hetman Light and 5 Starr versus such otherwise usual oils such as Holton or Fat Cat.

Again, I reiterate that "last a long time" is the last criteria a person should be using to evaluate an oil. Are you really that lazy you can't oil every time you play? Are you really that cheap that you can't afford $4 a year for a decent oil? Say you use a lot, call it $10... a year.

People do crazy stuff all of the time. Putting a fuel additive in your trumpet is probably a decent example.

I strongly caution anyone under the age of 18 to not do this crazy stuff. If you're over 18, you make your own decisions, including which hospital they take you to if you get poisoned.

Tom

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I will NEVER use products not designed for brass instruments. Health is one issue, experience is the second.

I used military grade silicone grease on my valve slides. It wandered through the horn and ended up on my valves during a gig. You just can't wipe silicone off. I used a whole bottle of valve oil to get through the gig. Had to pay to get that stuff completely out of the horn and am cured.

I have to admit, the valve slides were never smoother though................ A shame that we need valves to play.....