How much practice is too much practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cvtrpt619, Sep 14, 2009.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Dan, thanks for making that point. I sort of missed that.

Nick

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick,
    this was never intended to criticise your playing habits. Yes, not practicing on concert days is what I do, especially considering that most gigs include a full rehearsal before the job.

By the time ones chops and attitude are mature, the question does not even come up. I think it is a safe assumption that those that ask the question have an issue with predictability anyway.

This is the biggest challenge at TM, speaking to an audience of players from successful pro with 3+ hours per day to the wishful dreamer that doesn't even get that amount of time in a week. There is no absolute solution.

Nick, seriously - you deal with high school players. I have experienced so many that bang out the hard and high passages right before a concert, either until their chops are wasted or until they start cracking notes and block themselves psychologically. Many of the clams experienced by less mature players result from simply not being adequately prepared the day BEFORE a concert.

There are several other related threads on "warm up". Concensus with many working pros is that you have to be able to pull the horn out of the case and run. Many times you have no other choice. Granted, those that do not have an extremely heavy playing schedule have more time to experiment.

I maintain, if one has to ask the question, your preparation is lacking and less will generally be more on a gig day!

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Any time you practice until your lips feel tired is too much, like Nick and others have said, practice for a short amount time a few times a day, instead of all in one sitting, even this takes time to get used to, so be patient.