How much practice is too much?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 30, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Getting rubbery is too late. Damage can begin when you get to the rubbery stage. My recommendation is to stop before rubbery. That would be as I recommend above. When you reach the point where you start loosing control... this is natures way of telling you your muscle fibers are fatiguing. Fatigue is an early warning sign. As you continue past fatigue, abnormal fiber use ensues to compensate. These fibers are not use to the stress they must endure to compensate. This is where micro tearing of fibers start. If you stop at this point, damage is reversible, but the more strain you put on them the more unnatural stretch the fibers will make. This takes them out of their coordinated fibrile bundle. If this continues, remodeling will happen. With remodeling, you get permanent change, and this changes your embouchure... often times, in a negative way.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Back to air. Many players, when they get an airy tone, believe the cause to be too much air. Uhh-uhh. It is too little air that is the culprit. I still like the Vulgano RAY OF POWER concept.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can't see the vids -- vigilink wont' come in for whatever reason ---- I just wanted to add to VB, as most players here will tell you that HIGH NOTES don't take a lot of air, and in principle, I must agree as I can play some relatively soft notes above the staff with very little air ---------BUT DUDE WHEN I WANT LOUD NOTES above the staff, and especially LOUDER and CLEARER notes above the high C ---------------TAKES LOTS OF AIR TO MAKE THEM COME OUT FULL WITH DECENT VOLUME ---- well for me. just saying, I dont' have the Vulgano Ray of Power -------------------all I say, is choke up on the mpc and give it to er'!!!! well that is what I say!!! air, air, and more air!!!!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Put there is some aspect of the "Ray of Power" goes through the back end... just make sure it's not the air that goes in this direction... keep the air only for the ventral end.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is too bad KT, as VB's ray of power does work. I now use it now routinely in my technique. Thank you Vulgano Brother for sending your Ray my way.

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    My teacher suggested the Schlossberg scale studies to get consistent sound in all ranges

7. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    I agree with VB and gmonady, also with the following observation.

As you reach the upper range your head is starting to move backwards and the horn angle is lowering also. This seems to be more pronounced on C and E scales. This movement may have the effect of closing off your air flow more the higher you try to go. It may not be a quick fix, but in the longer term I would analyse this aspect closer to see if this is part of the problem.

Good luck with your exercises.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gee -- I lean forward and put the horn angle down -- mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, oh well, it works for me

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If I remember my CPR, tilting the head back slightly actually opens the airway into the throat, but I do observe many players who do this seem to downstream their instrument by keeping it projected at the same point they had prior to the tilt, thus they obviously change their embouchure in a way that is negative to what they want to achieve in high range.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    anyways here is a recent Phil Driscoll vid ---- seems to me he is still playing high notes, with a definite lean forward ---- there are some other vids, one especially with a duet with his son where they both lean forward

Phil Driscoll- You deserve the Glory - YouTube