How much practice is too much?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There isn't any set and fast rule/requirement/criteria for ALL to attain high notes. Some can, some won't and some can't.

I am not keen on Phil's habit of a dying blast to end many of his songs as often goes into discordance.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There is no set rule/requirement/criteria to attain high notes. Some can, some can't, and some won't.

I don't favor Phil's habit of ending a song with a dying exhaustive blast as often goes into discordance.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is over blowing. To the OP... this is not how I recommend it to be done. There needs to be more control. His tone spreads. The volume does not do anything to enhance the emotion of a beautiful song... this is tuned into a harsh presentation, when it should be more promoting spiritual love. If it were more relaxed... it may have come off more effective. Be careful... WE are ALL guilty of doing this, and if I should do this, I hope to get this very same feedback.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A usable upper register means more than the highest note we can reliably "peg." We need to be able to shape them, make them a part of the phrase; not necessarily the high point. Examples abound in the classical realm. In Shostakovich V there is a moment where the third trumpet gets to dominate the orchestra for a single eighth note, but that isn't where the joy comes from. The real joy comes on the next beat with a one note solo two octaves lower at pp. When our orchestra was auditioning for a new conductor (it was sort of like having a substitute teacher) I added a dynamic + and - to the part. The conductor made no comment, just smiled at his score. A "Mwah-hah-hah-hah-hah" moment.

Bach is full of these kinds of gems, and they are scattered all throughout all the literature.

There is reason for conventional wisdom. Long tones and arpeggios to build strength, Clarke studies, Top Tones, et al for a workable, usable and musical upper register.

As gmonady pointed out, Phil Driscoll's upper register is not musical. He's a lousy piccolo player as well.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow -- the peeps really slammed ole Phil on this song ---- oh well, to me it was just a demonstration of leaning forward, and head tilted forward --- and not the opposite of "opening" the airway by some CPR head back, horn raised into the air idea.

I am sure that anyone who has followed Phil Driscoll's career, or has been to his concerts, or has listened to numerous recording over the decades can plainly understand that - Phil Driscoll can play a trumpet, but I don't need to argue that point ----

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hard to critique a lousy camera phone recording. I almost didn't listen to it for that reason alone. It wasn't great by any stretch. I've heard Phil many times in the past and that was the worst by far. Playing to prerecorded music always has it's drawbacks and he always sounds best with a live band IMO.

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Please don't think I'm into Phil-bashing: he has touched many lives and inspired many people (including some trumpet players). I don't think, however, he is maybe the right choice to show than leaning forward from the waist can make high notes sound "better."

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    If your head is down and back, as Phil’s is you are opening up your airway correctly, when you open up your airway you can lean in any direction you want, it doesn’t matter because your airway is properly open. Maynard would get in some crazy positions when playing, but his head was always “Down and Back”. The rest is all show, as with Phil. You tube “The Three Tenors” Pavarotti and his two singing buds, and watch their head placement, or Doc, or your favorite Pro. Singing, or playing trumpet, It’s all the same, open up your airway.

9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    meh, I like phils singing better, nice Ray Charles tone to his voice.

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    And he plays trumpet waaay better than Randy Newman.