How need to start more routine practicing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Sep 18, 2009.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    How do I start more routine practicing?

I practice whenever I can which is just about every day anyway, but without a real routine and I feel like that is hurting me. Can anyone give me any advice on how to start a practice routine that will help me to use less tension when I play, to help me with my range, and to stop some double buzzing in the upper register. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are many other threads related to that topic. I started to collect the "best of" comments from a number of these threads. I will review what I have and if it looks useful, I will PM a copy to you.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    CBK,
    If you PM it to me, I will make it sticky. Then nobody else has to dig for it. I would lock the thread but offer to update it if new and exciting additional information (regardless of my personal opinion) pop up.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for doing this CBK and Rowuk!

6. Jack M

Jack M New Friend

Jun 22, 2009
    CT
    Yes, thanks! I'm also interested in this topic as a comeback player.

Jack

7. Jack C.

Jack C. New Friend

Aug 20, 2009
    North-Central Illinois
    For a time, I carried a mouthpiece in my pocket or briefcase and practiced long tones, articulation, scales, and some tunes while commuting to work and during my lunch breaks. That was all I could do until I returned home at night. I used a device called a Berpe (spelling?), similar to the "cheaters" now sold to approximate the back pressure of a horn. These practice sessions were helpful but not done as a substitute for horn-in-hand practice sessions.

I agree that more and better gains can be accomplished and maintained with regular and routinized practice schedules, but quick, mini-practice, sessions can help. By all means BE SAFE if you decide to try the above ideas.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys, let's face it, If someone is just paying attention and applying common sense, this whole practice thing is not that tough.
    Don't beat yourself up
    play soft lots and slurs, slurs, slurs!

Anything else is gravy.

More is better as long as we are awake. Once we get better, then we can think about fine tuning. The important part is to simply play more!

I have noticed with most players that they do not have enough tunes for my liking in their program.

KISS: keep it simple and straightforward

9. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I thought the KISS method was, Keep It Simple Stupid?!?!:D

Not implying anything here.....

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some people do have trouble with straightforward............ :evil: