How often do you clean your trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    I was just sort of wondering, how often do you guys clean your trumpets? I clean mine about once a month, does that seem a little obsessive, or am I right to clean it that much?

2. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I use alcohol and a brush to clean the lead pipe of my trumpet after every time a play it and wash my mouthpieces after every use as well. I also brush my teeth before playing so my trumpet doesn't get dirty in the first place (you know by blowing chunks of food down it:shhh:). I wash all of my tuning slides every time I apply slide grease (weekly) and wash my valves every time I apply valve oil (daily). I give my trumpet a bath every 2 months in order to keep it working like new, although I never have it chemically cleaned (corrosive materials going into my trumpet? no way:-P), so I think with all the cleaning I do I'm probably even more excessive than you are, but I figure if I pay over 3500 dollars for a trumpet I'm gonna keep it playing like new as long as I can.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO it depends on how much you play and what your hygenic habits are along with your due diligence in cleaning. OK, so you know I've been inactive in playing for quite awhile now but still I alternate weekly through my now 7 brass instruments cleaning them thoroughly and lube / oiling them. Our horns do develop strange "bedfellows" when left alone! Flushs with a antibacterial solution (alcohol being one) are great but only if then followed by a distilled deionized water flush.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The horns that I play a lot, 2-4 weeks, the rest, on demand. Demand is based on whether I was practicing where my teeth are always brushed first or performing where I do not always have the opportunity to brush but at least rinse. I do not like stuff crawling out of the mouthpiece!

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I....... am very guilty

6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    weekly valves, mouthpiece and leadpipe, monthly bath ( bit like my 9 year old boy)

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When I use to play professionally I would clean it about every 2 months ...

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    come to think of it.. I use to bring my trumpet in the shower and fill it up ... then blow it out.. if anything nasty came out I knew it was time to clean it otherwise it got a quick rinse ... then some valve oil down the lead pipe to coat it .

9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Wouldn't that ruin the felts?

10. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    must have been a 60s besson crescendo thay had all rubber washers!