How often do you clean your trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Mar 7, 2011.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    In re brushing teeth etc before playing, now that I am retired, it is easy to do. Earlier it wasn't and as above there were always temptations to eat/drink on the gig. And it makes a considerable difference in how long subjectively my horns "feel" clean. I do rinse the mpc each session, and use the mpc brush once a week. Occasionally I snake out the leadpipe every couple weeks if I am in too much of a hurry--not too often--to clean the entire horn. But the really important addition to my hygiene is a Waterpik. The stuff that emerges even after brushing or flossing has convinced me this is the only way to fly. So, I waterpik before rehearsals or practice sessions. After several months of not cleaning a horn which I am playing frequently there is little that flushes out. However, point taken in re the chemistry of saliva. I am going to increase the frequency with which I flush them all.

2. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Trumpets once a month - mouthpiece almost daily.

3. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Once per month on the horns I play most...complete dis-assembly...snake through slides and tubing, dry and re-oil, re-grease.

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I do it when it really stinks.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Enough.

Tom

6. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    Everyday. To some degree. Mouthpieces too.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Most of my trumpets - the three I play regularly - about every 3-4 weeks. As for my new acquisition - so far it seems about once every 72 years.

--bumblebee

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This does not bode well for the future Kenny Dorham. Keep it clean man... Keep it clean. This is not a sax with open air exchange. This is a hunk of metal with nooks and crannies to harbor bugs that will nook your cranny.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Not enough, if yesterday's cleaning is any indication:-( I'm ashamed of the amount of stuff that was in the main slide:-o The small connecting tubes in the casing had stuff there as well. Gave it a good soak in warm dish detergent water. Probably why it was retaining water that I couldn't get out before the cleaning. Did the flugle as well, it wasn't as bad. However, getting the third slide trigger mechanism back together was......interesting:oops: