How often?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by That One guy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. That One guy

That One guy New Friend

Dec 11, 2007
    Ummm.... lemme' think...
    Hey hey!
    I am a Sophomore in High School, 1st chair, lead jazz trumpet, fun stuff. I am currently playing on a Blessing ML-1.
    And now my question...
    How often should I practice?
    I usually practice for one hour/day on 4 days of the week. This seems to work so far, but should I be doing more?
    I do not plan on taking my trumpet playing past High School at the moment, but I suppose I'm still undecided.
    Given those circumstances, how much more should I practice?

Thanks

That One guy

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    T.O.g.
    An hour a day is basic training, with 2 hours per day you can "specialize" in something and with 3 hours you can get really good!
    Do not forget that I am talking about serious practice and not just farting around for 3 hours.
    1/3 chops, 1/3 technique, 1/3 serious music.

3. That One guy

That One guy New Friend

Dec 11, 2007
    Ummm.... lemme' think...
    Thanks!
    I'll probably try to kick it up to two hours.
    Is four days a week good, though?

4. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    practicing everyday is the best way to go_One hour a day is better than 2hours 4 days a week. good luck

5. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    You have to answer that qustion for youself.

Are you physically or mentally tired?

Did you play a lot at school that day?

Many variables but one thing is for sure. Consistent daily practice is the key to improvement

6. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    practice as much as you can everyday
    youll see a difference in your playing
    but if your lips hurt or something-take a break!

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I usually try to practice at least 2 hours a day, and its always a good day when all I can do is practice. You might also want to try breaking up your practice session into like 2 hours a day, but 4 session. Play for 30 minutes, just a basic warm up, some scales you need to learn, whatever you need, then do your hormwork or watch some tv. Then pick it up and and start doing some technical stuff, whatever suites you.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    T.O.g.
    4 on, 3 off is not good. Not playing for a day means that you need 2 just to catch up, 2-3 days off means at least a week to get back to where you were before. Very little of your chopbuilding will survive this way. Try and get at least a half an hour in on those 3 days - that can be just playing tunes.

Playing well means building and maintaining habits.

9. That One guy

That One guy New Friend

Dec 11, 2007
    Ummm.... lemme' think...
    Thanks guys!
    I'll definately be taking all of this into account after Christmas passes... ;-)

Every day will be my goal!

Thanks again!

That One guy

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The four days on, three days off can work, under the following circumstances: Play yourself to total exhaustion during the on days, and rest the following, giving muscles a chance to recover.
    This works, however, only if you exahust yourelf the "right" way, and a supervising teacher is incredibly important. You are young enough that playing every day won't really hurt you, and you can still do the four on three off deal working on range every other day, technique and most importantly, musicianship every day.
    The mean 'ol grown-up saying I like best is: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
    Good luck!