How old are you...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    53 years of age...

42 years on the trumpet...39 years of taking it seriously. That means that the first years - from beginning of 6th to middle of 9th grade were the non-interest and non-practicing years. From mid 9th grade - 1965-1966 school year - till the present, it has been mostly regular playing, except short periods of inactivity here and there...

2. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    30 years old, been playing tpt 22 of those.

3. TheMan

TheMan New Friend

May 30, 2005
    Northwest Arkansas
    40 and 28 (if you count grad school! ;-) ).

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    19 years and 10 trumpet on June 8th (1 year practicing :oops: ).

Its really cool, knowing that you have been doing something for over half of your life.

Van

5. murph66

murph66 New Friend

May 16, 2005
    67 years and 30 years- I started at 12, put it down in '59 when I graduated from college, picked it up again in '70, when I joined the Shrine. put it down again in '89 when I retired from the miliary and picked it up again in '03, when I joined my college's Alum Band.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    This thread is still fascinating to me... how the trumpet has been picked up and put down at times in people's lives. Really fun to read.

ML

7. Iamtrpt

Iamtrpt New Friend

May 16, 2005
    My pop started me on trumpet when I was eight...so that would make me 9 trumpet years old. Wow I'm young.

My bro used to play trumpet, but he kinda sucked so Pop bought him a tuba. He's actually pretty good at it. So I guess he was two years old, just a lil infant.

:D I hope to live to be ninety trumpet years old!

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

40 trumpet years this month, nonstop. Percentage of age is at 81.6 and rising.

9. toottles

toottles New Friend

Hello Everyone:

I'm very new to this forum, but find it a wonderful place to share information. I'm a comeback player.

I played a little in high school (two years) but was barely out of the beginner catagory before a ruptured appendix put an end to my trumpet days. (I had to spend over 30 days in the hospital and then, have a drain in my wound for 6 months - thus, no trumpet.)

After that, the US Army called. I had a chance to join the Army Band but didn't think I'd be able to keep up and, so, passed up that opportunity.

I studied as a Still Combat Photographer instead. :oops:

After that, I was an advertising photography pro in New York among other things.

Now, after not having played trumpet at all for over 40 years, I suddenly found myself with time, the burning desire to play again, and the money to buy a couple of very nice horns.

So, in that respect, I am right around 2 years and 4 months old - in trumpet years!

The great thing is that I find my range is better than it used to be. I can reliably play up to C above the staff (just for a little while, however.) I never could get up that high when I was a teenager.

But, boy oh boy, the endurance is really gone. Articulation likewise. I sound pretty good when I'm slurring around, playing anything that occurs to me or that sounds good. But, I sound rather terrible when I play from a score.

I guess, with practice, I'll improve. Right now, I am able to put in about two-to-three hours a day so the improvment is coming along.

I'm having a wonderful time, and, this forum (and TH) has been a big help, an inspiration, and is a fantastic encouragment.

Thank you all so much! :grouphug:

Kevin

10. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hi all,

This is my first post, I have been lurking as a guest for a while now - but this is too interesting a topic not to add to!

Lets see ... i am 31, started playing cornet at 6, switched to trumpet at 9 and have been playing it non-stop since ...

... so 31 in life, and 25 in trumpet/cornet.

Big congratulations to all on this forum - inspiring discussions and great advice everywhere! Cheers!