How old are you...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I am also a luker here on TM

I started when I was 8, dad started me (he his a HS band director), began lessons at 10.

So i am 21, and that leaves what, 14 trumpet years.

I did quit one summer completly, I didnt get into juilliard, manhattan, or curtis... so i said screw the trumpet. I came back after a few months, but getting back in shape was hell!

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    16 in real years, 3 in trumpet years.

I've been playing trumpet for 5 years, but I was never really into it. I started to have an affinity for playing around November '04. I haven't looked back since. My tone is improving like mad!

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm 17 in real years and 9 in trumpet years, I turned to the dark side in 4th grade... However, I'm 14 in music years, does that count for anything?

4. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    years

14 in "real" years...

Almost 4 in trumpet years!

I'm one of the more trumpet naive on the board.

5. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I started playing in 4th grade (back in 1975), so come August I'll be 30 in trumpet years! Even though I wasn't a music major in school I’ve never taken any time off of the horn and was very lucky to find some really fun ensembles right out of school. I was in a brass band, a great brass quintet, several community orchestras, a top-notch wind ensemble (which formed the year after I moved to the Phoenix area), and studying and playing with some outstanding symphony players. I’m down to two ensembles and weekly lessons, which keeps me plenty busy.

It seems like it took me 25+ years to really figure out how to play the horn (from a sound production perspective). It was amazing how much easier everything became once I got my arms around that aspect of playing! Now I can play through several Charlier etudes in a session, where before I would do well to get through half a page. Some things get so much easier with age and experience!

Oh, let's see, 78.9% of my age is with horn in hand (30/38). 80% is just around the corner (32/40), but 90% won't happen for another 42 years (72/80)!

6. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    I feel so young! :oops: im 14 in actual yrs 3 or 4 in trumpet yrs (i started playing in the summer before i even had a teacher so i font know for sure) and 98 in dog yrs (just a lil fact for fun! :D )

7. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    How Old?

42, and 32. Took ninth grade off, but never totally stopped. I also took off my second year in college, when I was studying in Israel. But I could not stay away after hearing some good playing from an american ex-pat Jazz player there.

8. Bugler90

Bugler90 New Friend

Feb 12, 2005
    :-) 31 years 17 trumpet

9. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    I am 31 years old.

I spent 17 years playing the trumpet and the past 4 playing cornet.

10. JMesh

JMesh New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    I'm 15 in real years, 4 in trumpet years.

And I'm pulling my own. :D