How old are you...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    In trumpet years: 22. Not bad for a 29 year-old, if I say so myself..

2. ponce

ponce New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    New York

Not quite, Manny. Jose M was not present, but Louis L. was. I understand that Jose M. got himself a gig in a major South American orchestra, as did Ed H. (another trumpet player who you and I both knew way back when). Ever hear from either of these guys?

3. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    23 and 12.

4. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    I am a big 4 1/2 in trumpet years 14 in real years

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ponce,

Ed had a gig but I don't know if he ever returned stateside. Jose returned more than a bit burned out with family in tow. Haven't heard directly form either one in decades.

Louis I see every so often on tours to NYC. He has an honest (in other words, non-musical) job now and doesn't really play anymore is what I remember him saying.

This is driving me nuts... if you're not my former colleague who now resides in L.A. then my brain cells are melting away. I'm racking my brains thinking of who else played at the "Y" in those days.

ML

6. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    26 Regularly

Let's see, I started in 5th grade, so I guess I was 9 or 10, so I am 17 in trumpet years

7. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    47 years old

35 years playing the trumpet

8. ponce

ponce New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    New York
    Sorry, Manny - didn't mean to be so cryptic about it. Let's see if you can figure it out this way: the initials of the 3 trumpeters who performed Bugler's Holiday in the Spring of '73 at the 'Y' are:

ML
    LL
    ML

Two of the above are Puerto Rican, and one of the above is from the same "tribe" as your wife.

While I used to live in L.A. a number of years ago, we were not colleagues there. Who might you have been referring to in this instance?

9. vic

vic New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    Arkansas
    Tempus Fugit

49 years on the clock.....

14 on the trumpet. That is: age 10 to 21...begin a couple of decades break for school/military/learning guitar (a little bit)/marriage/raising kids/finding jobs/more school/raising kids/some of you know what I mean/
    Now that I have a place to play [church band], and a little bit of practice time, I became a "comeback player" about 2 and a half years ago. These message boards are a great place to learn more than I learned, in some ways, in all those initial years. And thanks for your support to Manny and all those others who know what they are talking about!

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Oh, fer cryin' out loud...

How the heck are ya, M?! Can hardly believe I forgot all about that concert. Two Puerto Rican Catholics and Jew... sounds like a movie. It's great to have you on the forum. PM me and catch me up on the latest.

Makes me feel like a kid again...

ML