How old is my Bach 37 and it's current value

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by $sonnyman999, Dec 14, 2013.

1. $sonnyman999

$sonnyman999 New Friend

Dec 11, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is my first post and I hope that I'm in the correct spot. I purchased a used silver Bach Stradivarius Model 37 in very good condition about one year ago. The serial number is 602637 (ML), It was made in Elkhart, IN. I would like to know when it was manufactured and it's current value. Can any one help?

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! We are looking forward to reading your future posts. You can learn a lot about your fine trumpet here: BachLoyalist.
    Jim

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, $sonnyman999!

It is difficult to come up with a price for your trumpet. A lot depends on condition, and how well it plays. Bach trumpets are famed for being inconsistent; some play amazingly well and some are real dogs. Part of the Bach myth holds that the older, the better. Your trumpet comes from a time period in which fewer of the amazing horns were built.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome to TM, $sonnyman999,

As said above it is difficult to judge value without pictures and without playing. It is a 2004-ish model. I would say that if in good condition, and has original case, then probably around USD$1000 as a ball park figure. If pristine it will get more.

As far as Bach Stradivarius DOGS - well I have not found a player who plays one that has a dog, and I do not see a lot in the Lost Dogs Home. Some players say there is variation between each horn - it maybe so, but I have not played one that is a dog so far. It really is a case of finding the horn that suits you. I have 4 Bach Strads, each is different, but I cannot part with any of them.

BTW a Bach Strad 37 is pretty well considered a top line Off The Shelf horn, a mass produced pro horn.

Nowadays there are a lot of options available on the website for Bach to help to customise the Bach Stradivarious,

To answer your questions: 2003/2004 make. Value range : 800 poor condition, maybe 1500 in pristine. But market sets the pace, so check Ebay for a while - they get turned over quickly.

5. $sonnyman999

$sonnyman999 New Friend

Dec 11, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dear Fortissimo:

Thank you for your comments. I'd say that you are about right on the mark. I paid $1,186 for it at Sam Ash. My instructor helped me pick it out and said that it plays very well. It's probably an 8 or 9 in terms of condition and wear. The case is also in good condition. I really enjoy it...having upgraded from a Yamaha YTR2335.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You have a fine horn. Many pros play them. With care,MIT should last you a lifetime.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    #2 on the lifetime horn. I have played my #72 MLV since I bought it new in 1969. I haven't had the C that long, but it's still in original condition--a little rough, but plays well.

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That is a great upgrade from the Yammie,
    Look after it and it will play better and last, probably the only item that is unusual is the 3rd valve dump slide. Keep it lubricated so it works.

Cheers

9. $sonnyman999

$sonnyman999 New Friend

Dec 11, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    My next interest in addition to the Bach Strad is:

I love the mellow sound produced by the flugelhorn but, I'm told that they are very expensive. Wondering if I should try a cornet first, then on up to a Flugelhorn?

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Either or...

I went to Flugel after trumpet, then Bass trumpet after the flugel. Flugel more solo instrument, Cornet is more a section instrument that can also be played solo. Depends on your Budget, but there are some affordable Flugels out there ACB doubler Flugel comes to mind (never played one, but good reviews).

Cornet requires a lot more skill IMO - love it, but I always hear violin sections when I play or hear it - strange. I sometimes will swear there were cornets playing on a CD, only to find it was violins when I re-listen to it focussing on the instruments.