How old is my Bach 37 and it's current value

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by $sonnyman999, Dec 14, 2013.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have heard (online) that Strads are inconsistent, but perhaps that's just in the domestic US market, since all the ones I've tried (except one) were in Europe or Australia and they were all excellent. I would almost be keen to try for myself a "dog" Strad just to see what people mean by that.
    (Having said this, my own Strad is my number 3 horn after my Shires Destino and Olds Recording, in the interest of full disclosure.)

--bumblebee

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am with you, any Bach DOGS out there?

I have had the same experience as you bumblebee, maybe it is a case that in Oz we do not have the luxury to have so many to choose from, but all the Strads I have played have been good (both old and new). Maybe it is just a case where a specific horn does not play as well as another beside it, but that horn suits another player better. I would love to find where these dogs go, and try them out. Sometimes these stories get exaggerated IMO. Strads do have a reputation for a reason, and players that find "theirs" seem to hang onto one forever.

STORY:
    I was sitting next to a trumpet player the other night who had a Bach Strad C, that had a great sound, raw brass, a few patches and signs of a working life.... after talking for a while it turned out it belonged to Wilmer Wise. So Wilmer let one go to Oz, the player was ex MSO. It was a nice horn, and hard to think what would have replaced it. Like a comfy shoe, you need to wear them in before they wear out.:-) Plenty of life left in that one.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This "Bach dog" stuff amuses me. Here in the U.S. maybe I just got lucky. I bought a twelve year old barely used 180S37 off of ebay for a great price w/o playing it. I stuck a current version Bach 3C in it and it is great outfit. If I wasn't so curious about other horns (and curiosity is really all it is) I would have no reason to own another Bb trumpet.

Jim

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I have played a handful of bach horns that were dogs....but they were all in the shop in need of repairs, they did not leave as dogs. I am yet to find any new bach, or even any used one in good condition that I would call a "dog". Certainly some are better than others, or feel "special" but I am yet to play one that I couldn't play professionally and make work. I have heard horror story's of wonky intonation and overall dead horns, I haven't seen it yet. I don't doubt the existence of these bach dogs...I'm just saying of the ones I've played (probably about 100 different ones in the past 3 years, just estimating) there were no absolute dogs.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This one Bach being better than another Bach gives me a weird feeling that such a comparison has no bonafides approaching evidential acceptance, nor of industrial manufacturing quality control. Simply, I don't believe any player could play 10 instruments of the same make and model consistently the same way every time.

As each instrument has a serial number, I could suggest a hidden scramble and have the players run the "test" again, putting up the purchase price as a wager that they could pick the same instrument again. If they lose, they have bought an instrument for a public school program. Any takers?

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I like it, but can't afford it! ROFL
    Nice thinking Ed.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I sure couldn't afford to do that either:dontknow::oops:

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I wouldn't take those stakes, too rich for my blood. but I would bet $1 that if my personal bach was put in a lineup with 10 other bachs I could consistently pick it out, blindfolded. I have thousands of hours in playing time on that horn, and am pretty confident I could get that right. As for distinguishing between 10 horns that I just met, I would bet that my review of each horn while blindfolded would be largely consistent, but some variation would surely be inevitable.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ghitalla related a story from his tenure at Michigan. A Yamaha rep brought a bunch of trumpets for his students to test. Of course Ghitalla tested them too, and in an aside to the rep said, "I don't like any of them." The rep said, "I know. We made this one for you," and pulled out a trumpet Ghitalla loved.

One person's dream horn is another person's dog.

One could take 16 Bachs and play test them head to head, with winners and losers, winners of the winners and winners of the losers. My guess is that repeating the test the player would retty much rank the horns the same. A different player would have different results. It would be fun to try this experiment.