How old is this Stradivarious?......

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Phatmon, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Bach Strad with a serial number less than 3000? Pretty rare I would venture.

Jim

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I could guess that it was made around 1934, but thats a guess. I know its between 1931 and 37, though.

The Faciebat Anno means it was built at their second shop. Gosh, I need to polish up on my trumpet lore.

A decent condition one from this time goes for around 2000-2500.

Van

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Faciebat Anno is Latin for "manufactured in the year of," and was stamped on the earlier Bach instruments, followed by the year of manufacture.

This particular one, with Faciebat Anno 6-53 means it was made in 1936.

Hope this helps.

Tom

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If you go to to the serial number page on Dave's Bach trumpet site, it shows that based on the serial number of 2476, that the trumpet was crafted sometime between 1935 and May 5, 1936, so it was probably made in early 1936.

http://www.electrotheremin.com/numbers.html

Right now the bid on that trumpet is at $1000. I'll bet the bidding goes crazy on that horn in the last minutes of the auction. If I thought that I had a prayer for getting it, I would bid, but the ultimate price will probably end up being much too high for me. From what I can tell, there isn't a terrible amount that needs to be done to get that horn playable. It's not in as bad of condition as the seller seems to think.

6. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah,

A sniper in the last 5-10 seconds will come out of nowhere with his/her first bid and smoke the competition.

The question will be . . . who will bid the highest proxy in those final seconds to get the horn. In this case, a lot of snipers will be disappointed . . . as will the high bidder too I suspect.

Still . . . its a fairly early Strad with a LOT of little details in the small parts and in the workmanship that are far different . . . and very interesting . . . vs. Bach's later instruments.

ON A SIDE NOTE . . .

I played a big band gig on an Air Force base a year ago and bumped into an old guy who had been in WWII. "I played in an Army band during the Second World War," he told me. "Me too," I replied.

I asked him what type of horn he preferred and asked if he still owned it. "I still have it, and its in great shape," he replied, "although I haven't played it for MANY years." He went on, "It is a Bach Strad that I bought new back in the late '30s."

Being a gentleman, rather than a scoundrel, I told him what it was worth today and he was shocked. Gosh . . . I probably could have bought the horn cheap but I didn't want to do it to a fellow bandsman!

Tom

7. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    Auction ended at under 1500. I dont think seller was expecting it to go that high. I would have thought it would have gone higher though. Now if the buyer decides to get it restored will that up the value of the horn or cause it to depreciate? :eek:

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, so the Faciebat Anno doesn't mean what I thought. :oops:

I have always wondered, which plays better, the NY or Mt. Vernon Bach?

Van

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There is a guy out here in Maryland named Gil Rathell that plays on an ooooooold New York Bach. I mean, talk about a horn that's been used and abused. It has patchs all over it and I know a couple of the guys that used to do the work on it to keep it going....

But keep going it does! At least in Gil's hands anyway, he and the horn sound pretty danged good if you ask me.