How our memories fade with age

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Mar 9, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After a very lively discussion oof Phil Smiths Haydn, something occured to me about our ability to remember the way things used to be. As a rule our memories tend to make things better or worse than they really were.

TM member BILL VAN turned me on to this website. There are very interesting recordings of earlier "pillars" of the trumpet community, but perhaps in a different context today with superior studio techniques making every note of current productions "finger lickin' good".

Listen at your own risk..........

This guy is doing the trumpet community a great service by making these recordings available. Let's keep the trolling down to 0% please.

I think this stuff is awesome!

Home

and

More Screamers

Do not forget that no one or small group of recordings can ever be representative of a players true talents!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    It took my dial-up ISP a half hour to download one of the Chase audio files (Somewhere) , and another Chase audio file is *still* loading after one and a half hours (MacArthur Park).

The ratings given at that site are screwy, because it claims that Doc Severinsen had better range than Bill Chase.
    Perhaps the site host has never heard the last note at the end of Chase' second album?
    To crescendo a Double C that is held that long and to end it with such amazing power leaves no doubt that Chase could play Triple C's but that he chose not to include them in recordings.
    As Chase once said in a clinic, high notes have to be music or they are not worth playing.

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I have several recordings of Vizzutti's "Firedance."
    The recording on this link is one of the best.
    Thank you for posting.
    I heard Al perform Firedance with the San Antonio Pops live. It was also one of the best in the long version.

4. lupin62

lupin62 New Friend

Oct 3, 2007
    La Crosse, WI
    Good stuff. I've heard of Maynard Fergison and Arturo Sandoval but I've never taken the time to actually listen. I should start doing that more. Oh well, what can ya do when you've got a full credit load at college, are trying to work, and practice you're instrument all in one day. :dontknow:

5. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    That Chase version of MacArthur Park does not sound like it was recorded at the 1973 National Trumpet Symposium in Denver where Chase played a different version with heavy reverb at the beginning.
    But MacArthur Park was not on any of the 3 Chase albums, either.
    So does anybody know where this recording of Chase playing MacArthur Park came from?

UPDATE:
    I Google searched and discovered that it is from live recordings made 2 months after the 1973 National Trumpet Symposium and later compiled into a CD called "Chase Live Forever", a CD I don't have yet:
    Chase Live Forever and Watch Closely Now

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Whhatt??? man... The first time I heard maynard was my Freshman year in high school. After that, I'm pretty sure i've listened to at least one of his songs everyday when I could. hah

7. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    cool site but who came up with the idea to rate players on a 1-10 and who does the rating :dontknow:

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Thanks for posting this Rowuk! Lots of really great stuff I haven't heard before. Anyone with a performable double C gets a 10 for range from me!