How playing an instrument benefits your brain.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jul 25, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You're assuming that after all of the alcohol and hard living, we still have some brain cells left. ;-)

Mike

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO,
    it lets you think about high notes in an intelligent way - far into old age......:evil:

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We just need to make enough music, then we can compensate the alcohol and hard living..............

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Shared this with some friends of mines... thanks for sharing

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Of course I've been pondering this video for a day now and am wondering why I'm having difficulty with bass clef and the trombone slide positions - but the trumpet seems very natural for me to play -- I actually wonder if the trombone uses a different part of the brain because of the slide action as opposed to using 3 fingers on the valves ------YES, THIS IS REALLY A SERIOUS QUESTION FROM KT

6. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    Love it!

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not a different part of the brain, but a different skill set. The slide action is only a small part of changing pitch musically on the trombone. We have to spend much more energy controlling the length of the notes otherwise we would just be smearing from one to the next. This is an issue for players that came from valve instruments. They have instant pitch change hard wired in the brain.

Hundreds to thousands of repetitions........

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thank you Rowuk --- I was actually doing some research on my question and found much the same thing: Also I developed my trumpet playing skills in the formative years (started when I was 12 and continued to play the trumpet for at least 10 years after that) --- now "learning" to add new skills is simply a matter of "teaching" the brain ------------ and your correct as in my youth my brain became adapted to making music by the function of pressing valves for certain notes. -----
    and interesting side note here: I recall last year at a parade, one of my high school friends was there with a Senior Corps DCI (exhibition DCI by older people) -- and he handed me his Marching trombone with valves, in which I was able to make it function much easier than the slide trombone -- I suspect now, mostly because of the valves and the "pre-programmed" function of my brain which is used to valved instruments. -----------------------------

""""The anatomical region of the brain known as Area 4 was given the name primary motor cortex (symbol: M1)This mapping is represented somatotopically on the motor cortex, where the surface area devoted to controlling the movements of each body part varies in direct proportion to the precision of the movements that can be made by that part. The supplementary motor area, for its part, seems to influence the planning and initiation of movements on the basis of past experience."""...............

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Read Kahneman: "Thinking Fast and Slow" for the most lucid description of why we do what we do. Heavy duty book, well worth the time required to read and understand it! Everything is a bit different than some would have us believe.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, I will look that up -- contrary to what people may believe, I actually read quite a lot ------------- I often comment to people that I have "forgotten more than most people will ever learn in the first place" ------ if only I could have remembered it all, but I suppose, the information is in there in my gray matter somewhere, usually the game show Jeopardy elicits many correct answers to the questions, some of which the information hasn't surfaced for many decades in my mind until that split second when the answer is needed!!!!