How playing an instrument benefits your brain.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jul 25, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sure (just a couple, and only band names that are family-safe):

Punk:
    Ebba Grön
    d.b.s.
    Patti Smith Group
    Joan Jett
    Sex Pistols

Rap:
    Fugees
    Rödelheim Hartreim Project (been following this since they formed)
    Black eyed peas
    Coolio
    Samy Deluxe

Please keep in mind, this is like harpsichord music to me. I have to be in the mood and the environmentals have to line up (wife out, second son the recording engineer visiting)

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Lest I forget, uh, where was I...?

3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Wow. Never thought I'd hear Coolio referenced on this forum. I used to be a big fan. Probably still have a Coolio album around somewhere, but yeah, I definitely have to be in the mood.

Aforementioned moods are most notable for their scarcity and relative lack of longevity. About one song seems to be the high water mark for those moods these days.

Coolio is probably most famous for 'Gangster's Paradise', but I always liked 'Fantastic Voyage' a lot.

I can listen to about one half of a Black Eyed Peas song, then I'm done, and it requires Bach's Brandenburg Concertos in their entirety to wash the taste out of my mouth.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Huh? I don't get it.

I'm a teenager trapped in a middle-aged body. I want to play loud high notes and impress girls. All the other stuff, like practicing, showing up on time, listening around me while playing my part, following the instructions of composers and conductors, playing in tune, on time with the proper style are just part of my plot to get the first part and play the high notes.

Isn't that what we all do?

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    KT I share your pain with bass clef. The trombone slide positions are a minor difficulty. I suspect that the problem we have is that there is a huge, frustrating delta between the way we automatically translate a treble clef note on a page to a note on a horn. This is kind of sub-conscious and the conscious part is all about rhythm, articulation, dynamics etc.

Bass clef, at least for a dummy like me, is like... let's see, that's on the D line, which makes it an F, and by the way we now transpose!!! The transposition is the easy bit. I'm doing a keyboard module in my night-school college course and reading bass is a pain there too. I now have a bass clef Real Book and am trying to get up to scratch by sight-reading different tunes each practice session. Looking on the bright side, maybe this is slowing down the decay of our brains :-)

Thanks for the original post Rowuk. I've shared it with many people.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll say It NOW! I GET YOUR TRUMPETS AND TROMBONES AND FLUGELS AND BUGLES AND WOODWORKING PLANES! Shipping to Va. Is less costly than overseas.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Then you've got that whole southern hemisphere dilemma as well. :cool:

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dilemma? Do my standing waves have a different polarisation to yours :-)

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Reime was pretty listenable. I did catch one naughty word in English though!

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I don't know, but the whole whirlpool going the opposite direction, go North and it gets hotter, you're hanging upside down, after all and I'm not sure how all this affects things, can you see my theory? :roll: