How playing an instrument benefits your brain.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am pretty sure the bass clef thing is all about direction ---- as when learning the trumpet, in public school and in general I learned Treble clef from the bottom up, and then when I go to Bass clef it's generally looking at top down, and of course -- the Notes (G, E, etc. are all in different places anyhow) --- I'm with you, I can point to any note and tell you what it is in bass clef, but to transpose that in my mind with a corresponding slide position is just a very slow process -----

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bass clef is TRANSPOSITION. Except for the key signature, it is trumpet in Eb.

There are several methods to negotiate the interval difference. With my students, we have to find the most convenient one.

1) calculate the interval at each note
    2) change the clef
    3) find a home note and calculate from it
    4) assign a slide position or valve pressed to the line or space

I had a girlfriend in school that played alto sax. Eb transposition was just the possibility to be with her more!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might try that as there is a very cute young lady who plays saxophone in my community band ---- nice idea!!! -- I am sure I will learn something!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    And that was good for your brain, you bet!

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I think I use number 3, when I have to sometimes play Bb trumpet in church but I need to play something from the bass clef. Don't think I am so successful, but I do use the C above the staff as my note to reference. It ends up being more a guide than really playing exact notes. I use my ear more in these instances.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, I think number 3 is what I'm using too Wayne. At the moment, there are a few notes - C's, F's - on and above the staff that "read automatically" for me. I'm hoping to get to where reading bass is as natural to my tiny mind as treble. There are some training apps that work like flash cards too, although it's more fun to just play from the bass Real Book.

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
  9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brains out of wood?

I think because of the difficulty of the instrument, that french horn players are the only brass players humble and subservient enough to be able to work with woodwind players.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is painful for me to watch the trumpet player in the front row. His head is so far forward of his spine that he must be sacrificing a great percentage of his potential. Even when he is not playing, the head is way too far forward. That is unbelievably hard on the upper body muscles...........

The horn player, SHE has posture down!