How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Why are you guys dressed up as redcoats, as opposed to colonist-looking uniforms?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Muscle physiology says you will be up to snuff in 6 weeks... with daily practice, and when ending a practice before fatigue sets in (when you start missing notes is the earliest sign of fatigue). So hang in there... you know you need to come back!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    *sigh* This is one of those things where if you know the history it makes perfect sense, but to the average person standing alongside of a parade route, they'd just have to bellow, "the British are coming! The British are coming!" Historically the "signal corps," i.e., the fifes and drums, would be dressed in the opposite colors of the parent infantry unit so that they could be more easily distinguished and found in the middle of a battle admist the noise, confusion and smoke that was produced by black powder rifles and muskets. The Old Guard's Colonial infantry unit (Alpha Company's Commander in Chief's Guard, aka CINC Guard, aka Ugly Guard) wears blue coats with red facings, so by the rule above, our coats are red with blue facings. It was always part of the announcements at any show, or any ceremony on at Summerall field on Fort Myer.

Part of me felt like pushing it last night, but part of me understands that I can't push too hard too fast - I probably popped the horn back in the case after about 25-30 minutes, most of it pretty light playing. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will my chops. I keep telling myself that with my efforts to learn guitar as well - I'm still just strumming open cowboy chords and doing very, very basic playing. Then again, it has only been about 3 weeks since I started really trying to learn to play guitar, (I've fiddle-faddled with it several times before) so I know I have to crawl before I can walk.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Welcome back, Partick!

I'm just back on the drums, after a five year layoff ... discovering one after another all the dormant drum muscles. I can relate. :lol:

Turtle

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wise idea. You are well on your way along the road to trumpet playing rehab.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I find as I do this round-robin on instruments that the most important "muscle" that needs to be reawakened is my brain. Muscle memory is a cool thing and it's interesting how quickly the strength comes back if I don't let it go for too long, but getting the brain clicking along like it needs to is another matter entirely, and it seems like the older I get the harder it is to maintain focus for the lengths of time I was able to do it when I was younger. I don't know if it's due to all of the other stresses and distractions I have in my life, or if it's just a matter of age, but it is something I have taken note of.

7. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    roflROFL

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Day 2 - still some fuzz around the edges, but well ahead of where it was yesterday. I'm not going to delude myself though - I know there is still some work to be done, and even then, there's a difference between the practice room and the gig.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    good luck Patrick -- glad to see you back -- and the only question the KINGTRUMPET has ----
    what the he... were you thinking putting the trumpet down and just playing drums --- now you have to pay the price --- you are a COMEBACKER NOW ---- welcome to the club, learn the lesson --- AND DONT QUIT THE TRUMPET AGAIN, my goodness -- I still can't believe you did that ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Eh, I'm not that big of a comebacker - I was only off of the horn at the most for about 6 months between October and Easter, then to late May/early June, and then to now. It was MUCH worse when I put the horn down in late 1999 and didn't pick it back up until mid 2001. As a side note, have you ever gigged drums? :D If you have, then you know what a rush it can be playing drums for a band that's really hitting well. This was the first gig I did with the little indie rock band at the Recher theater in Towson MD, and it's probably my favorite song of the stuff we play. Not the best we every played it (and there was some technical difficulty with the mic) but it was fun nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feSX0N8SOIE

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012