How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I was off the horn for a week after practicing every couple days over summer, took me about two weeks to get everything back around to where it was. Probably your best bet is long tones, lip slurs, and tonguing exercises. Add in some flow studies and finger studies, and you should be as good as new, minimum 1 week, max a month, IMO.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Glad to have you back Patrick,
    First.. I love how you have your drums tuned ... the bass drum sounds like a canon going off .... low tom sounds like small rockets ... very hip!!
    Don't forget to put Arbans pg 125 in your daily routine

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    So you don't actually look like Russell Crowe then? (or maybe it's my eyes...)

--bumblebee

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Drums are fun ... you sound great, Patrick! Btw, what kind of drum sticks are you using??? (just kidding :lol:)

Turtle

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle, I beleive he uses asymmetric drum sticks.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Turtle, you might not believe it if I told you this, but drummers are worse gearheads than trumpet players! As a side note I was using Vater 5As that night - heavier than my normal duty sticks that I use for practice and praise band, which are Vic Firth 8Ds. I prefer wood tips to nylon too. Weird thing on the Vater 5As, they are beefier than any other company's 5A, but I tend to be a high energy player and I've cracked cymbals with heavier sticks, which was part of the reason for moving down to the VF 8D. That was probably all Greek. :D

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What kind of set are you on?

And I agree with coolerdave on the tuning of your drums, I might use your video as a reference for some of my drummer friends

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think a lot of that was due to how the sound man had them EQed and mixed, but I do try to have them set up and tuned well.

As for the drums, here we go: (Can't believe I'm doing this on a trumpeters' forum!)

Main kit - Pearl SMX Session Custom - 22" kick, 10, 12 and 16 inch toms (more on that 16" tom in a second)
    Snare - Pork Pie Little Squealer, 6x14 Steel
    Cymbals - Hats - Sabian 14" AAX Stage, 16" and 18" Sabian HHX Studio Crashes, 20" Sabian AA Rock Ride

Heads - Kick is sporting an Evans EMAD, snare an Aquarian single ply texture coated, and the toms were all sporting Evans G Plus. (went back to pinstripes for now, but might use the G Plusses again.)

I built the 16" floor tom. My Pearl SMX came with a 14x11 inch hanging tom, and I never felt I was getting the kind of depth at it I wanted, and I constantly had it tuned lower than I probably should have. The problem is that my kit is now discontinued (discontinued since 2007) and so getting a 16" tom was going to be a problem - not only would it be costly if it could be done at all, but I'd have to wait 6-9 months too. So, I ordered a shell, got some ColorTone lacquer from Stewart McDonald, built a spinning platform with a cheapie lazy suzan bearing, and wound up with a 16x14 tom. I could have saved some cash by getting generic hardware, but it has matching Pearl hardware on it.

[​IMG]

Sorry - I don't look like Gladiator. :)
    [​IMG]

As for tuning, there is a new product out there called the Tune-Bot. This little thing is genius. For me, getting a head in tune with itself wasn't an issue. Finding the right relationship between the top and bottom heads was always the sticking point. This thing takes the guess work out of it and works like a champ! It was an awesome investment.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I haven't seen many people with a Pork Pie Little Squealer.

Do you dampen your bass drum? And do you know how many walls your heads are, besides the snares?

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The ONLY reason I got the Pork Pie snare was because I got it on Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day for $89. You can't even get the parts for $89, much less a finished snare drum. I've always liked their bowtie snare lugs so the idea was to ditch the steel shell and put it all on a maple shell, but then I got to fiddling with it and I really liked the punch and volume it has, which is perfect for a club setup like that show. I have a few other snares and I try to use what's appropriate for the room.

As for the heads, interestingly enough all of the heads on the kit that night were single ply heads. The EMAD kick head is dampened by a foam ring externally, but I also have some dampening in it with a small pillow and a piece of foam rubber. I'm also using a Kickport - not completely sold on the Kickport, but then again, my bass drum is one of the best aspects of that kit.

The Evans G Plus is 12 mils thick, which is just under what a typical 2-ply head is, which is 2 plys of 7 mil film. The Aquarian Texture Coated is 10 mils.