How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Day 4 of the comeback came and went, although things are going well enough that I'm not sure I should call it a comeback. Yeah, I've lost a little bit, but I don't seem to have to make up nearly as much ground as I thought I would. Possibly this is due to the two times since last October that I broke the horn out - once at Easter and again to play a wedding in June. The second time was a bit more involved. Easter was kind of ancillary to the overall music product - the horns were there merely to add some color and so there wasn't much pressure to be right on the money. With the wedding in June, that was a little different and I spent a couple of weeks working my chops and knocking the dust and cobwebs off so that I could give the people a decent performance on the horn - I got paid for it after all and I wanted to fully know that I had earned the fee.

So.....I put together a quick little clip last night and posted it to YouTube. I'm always hesitant to post any of my playing on here because I've always been afraid that it won't pass muster and it will invalidate anything I've posted when it comes to playing. I shot this little snippet after having played for about 30-40 minutes. I dunno - I wasn't keeping track. The first little tune excerpt I play I wasn't as accurate as I would have liked, but it was more or less acceptable, and the second one was ok. Oh - sorry if this blows the whole Gladiator thing out of the water. :D

You might have to turn the volume up a bit to catch the talking because I turned the mic down try to keep that from clipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNFykKmPzy8

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Patrick,
    I don't know -- it looks like the GLADIATOR title is really NOT TOTALLY gone --- you don't make it LOOK super easy to play the trumpet --- then again, I think the sound is pretty awesome. OF COURSE, we all dislike you now, because you can put the horn in a closet for 10 months --- and then after 4 days, you can sound "pretty darn good" ------ SO PLEASE TELL US YOUR endurance sucks or something, just so us mere mortal trumpet players have something we can relate too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

ps. TRY to refrain from posting on youtube -- or telling us that you also SING AND PLAY THE DRUMS!!!!! -- at least for a few days --- let us mortal trumpet players, think we have a chance of catching up with you!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    And now he plays guitar too ! :shhh:

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course, I am NOT one to conclude anything from that -- EXCEPT before you know it TrickG (Patrick) is probably going to tell us that he is so bored with all these instruments that he just enrolled in Med School to make his life a little more of a challenge --- then in 5 or 6 years, Trickg is going to be on TM, telling us how he prefers to be a full time Jazz Trumpet player, and he can treat his patients, teach at the med school, mentor young boys and girls at the public school, write medical journals and such in his SPARE TIME ------ don't worry KT loves overachievers!!!!!! after all they pick up the slack in this world, where regular people like me just try to make it through another day!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oh come on now! :)

I appreciate the kind words, but all things considered, there are more than a few weak aspects to my playing. I don't have amazing range - so I picked off a D, but my usable range tops out about a half step above that, although back in my Latin band days I would on occasion take a line up to maybe a G, but that was always hit or miss - mostly miss. My 3rd finger is also awful and I can't improv jazz to save my life.

All in all though I'm just tickled that other than endurance, which I know is compromised, I'm happy that I can still rev up the sound with some sizzle and that I've got decent compression going on. My sound (hopefully) should thicken up a bit over the next few weeks too. This is a pretty bright setup - a Schilke B6 with a Schilke 14A4 for a mouthpiece, but then again, it's meant to be bright.

So now for your listening pleasure, hereis a vocal tune! :D This one was recorded live at a gig, mixed in the studio and put on the band's 3rd volume of promo material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1-MnnF2qM

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    look at that boys and girls -- the dude walks away from the trumpet for nearly a Year --- and comes back, and within 4 days -- says "I don't have amazing range - so I picked off a D..........." oh no --- now he puts up a vid of singing, next he is going to do "dueling guitars -- or dueling banjos or something" and play both parts -------------oh wait, I got it, Patrick is going to whip out the guitar and play "dueling banjos" song, hitting in with the guitar and then answering in melodramatic form with the trumpet all at 258 bpm.
    sorry to have a little fun at your expense Patrick --- but yes -- YOU can sing also, sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've never considered that D to be anything out of the ordinary - I've needed to have that in the bag the entire time I did the wedding band gig. I think a few things improved my chops over the years I did that gig - the first was the regularity that we played - it was odd to go more than 2 weeks without a gig and there were some months that rolled through where I had 4 or 5 - summer wedding season was like that in June and July. Just hitting the horn like that so regularly it was either adapt or fail. The second thing was my Schilke B6. I really believe that horn saved me because it made getting the right kind of sound so much easier so I wasn't working so hard to make it happen. The last thing, and this was kind of interesting, was Barry, the sax player. When he came to the band it was like all of a sudden it was finally truly a horn section. He affirmed a lot of what I had been playing (but was not being mirrored by other people who I'd played next to) and his phrasing is just so "right" that all of a sudden I had someone to hook into, and that right there just helped things. To give a bit of insight about Barry, at one point he toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra, so he knows his business behind the horn. I've always thought that one of the best ways to get better is to play next to really solid players - most people rise to the occasion when pushed a bit.

It's time to stop typing and to start playing. I'll drop back in when I'm done.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Patrick... NICE COMEBACK!!! What an inspirational post for those coming back... AND ALL so soon. Haven't heard you on drums, but I recommend to you to keep the trumpet as your primary instrument.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It has been going pretty well, although I don't feel like I've got the same kind of focus tonight as I had yesterday - I'm going to hit another horn line soon that has been kind of a nemesis of mine due to a couple of reason - really cool and hip line, WHEN I hit it cleanly. For now, we're back to drums! Heheheh....

This was at an event called Power in the Park - a Christian outreach event that me and a few friends played. A couple of things to note. One, we played this gig cold - we got the song list and worked the tunes individually, but we didn't rehearse - we just rolled in, did a sound check, and played. Second, we started this song to a click, but at the first break after I come in on a full beat, I stopped the click because we weren't holding to it - it was kind of disjointed. The time drifted a bit after that, but overall I felt it was better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSF_-Q6h5Q

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nice drumming Patrick (love the bass player too) but you appear more alive and engauged in your trumpet video. It IS the other woman... and you know it.