How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dude, that bass player is off the hook. He's maybe a touch busy, although it worked well for that song, but get this - he just started his Senior year in HS and he has set a goal of going to Berklee. I'm of the opinion that he will undoubtedly be accepted - whether or not it works out, now that's another matter - it is Berklee after all and it's not exactly cheap to attend.

Now, for my next clip....part of me wants to qualify this by saying that I didn't do multiple takes - I just hit "capture" and rolled with it it. I kind of blew a note, like, we're talking a sweet splee-ah right in the middle, but this is one of those lines where that can (and does) happen. I was pretty much nailing this lick before my layoff, but it's to be expected after putting the horn down for most of a year. Something else I clearly need to work on is my triple tonguing - it sounds like double tonguing on this clip - definitely not crisp enough.

So here it is in all of it's tarnished glory - day 5. By the way, this has been kind of a cool thread for me in that I think I'm rediscovering that I LOVE to make music - trumpet, drums, vocals....it just doesn't matter, I freaking love it! After so many years I think that sometimes I take it for granted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx80OXYACTY

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

OK -- that is awesome advice ---- HEY GM and TrickG ----- send me a PM, as I just figured out how to get RICH off from the trumpet!!!!! ----so I want to put you two together in some gigs, make some CD's, and KEEP 90% of the profits. When each of you 2 guys try to get BETTER by sitting next to each other ------ I will have the Dynamic Duo ---- the legends of the trumpet world ...... Miles, Severensen, Maynard, Cat Anderson, ---WHO IS GOING TO REMEMBER THOSE GUYS. in 5 or 10 years we will have the only 2 names that matter (Onady and Gleason) the BEST OF THE BEST IN THE TRUMPET WORLD.
    YES ---- you 2 need to sign up with KINGTRUMPET PRODUCTIONS,,, I might even make a MOVIE ---- I will be fabulously wealthy and popular with the hot women, all because of my trumpet and tuning into TM. I so love it when a plan comes together!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    KT, you crack me up! :lol:

Back before I stopped playing I was at a point where I was no longer really consciously trying to improve - it was about not losing what I had. There were days when I played better or worse than preceding days, but overall I was pretty much at the level where I was going to be. Even with my efforts now while I'm trying to get better, the target is to get back to where I was and I'm not trying to hit some ambiguous target somewhere out in the ether.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Day 6 come and gone - no new videos today, and today was an easier day. Right now it's the inconsistency that is bugging me the most, and with that in mind I kept it pretty basic - nothing strenuous, nothing overly taxing, just a lot of easy playing, and a lot of basic drills. Tomorrow I'll hit some more songs to give my reading a workout, and to get an idea of what my endurance would be like if I was playing a gig - how many songs can I roll through before any kind of fatigue sets in and that kind of thing.

This has been pretty fun. :-)

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm on day 1387 of my comeback (nearest I can figure) and I just played a song with a High F in it last night, I cracked the High G and squeaked an A, Bb, and DHC -- but could not reproduce them with good sound, or put them in any meaningfully sounding way into a song. I am not a high note afficianado --- and I hope it gets easier to play the High F by the time I get to day 2764!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

ps. I got to stop reading these post by GM and you ---- you guys are killing my "fractured back". ((yes, I fell at work last week, although the back is apparently only pulled and sprained - -my Dr. told me to go easy on the trumpet for 3 weeks until it heals up)) ------- I should try to listen to her!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was messing around the other night and lit up some Fs and F#s, but it wasn't anything I could have used on a gig. (I tried to get a G, but failed - twice. I stopped trying after that.) I'm not a high note guy either. My goal is to be able to lay out my useable range (Eb) all night for three full sets. If I can do that, I'm pretty much back from a strength and endurance perspective. After all, it would be nice to have a dollar for every time I've seen the comment "99% of all trumpet music is below High C," or something to that effect. I've got to have the D - I had written Ds all over the wedding band music, and an occasional Eb. I had one or two Es too, but nothing above that unless I chose to take a line up.

Right now things feel like a lens I'm trying to bring into focus, but either I can't quite get it dialed in just right, or there is a smudge on the lens! LOL! I think if I keep on the way I have been going I'll be ok in another couple of weeks.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Remember Patrick... Six weeks... Physiology is or guide... Six weeks... You will get there... You will be there.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Six weeks true, but I might have to gig these chops before then! :-o

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For you, Patrick, this is not a problem. Remember... 6 weeks will get you 100%... For you, at this point, while not at 100%, you could still blow most of us away.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

and tonight, I will lose ground on both of you!!!!!!!!!!! --- I've just got to take a day off!!!! (don't want to, but the body says --- "listen to your doctor, idiot" --
    now that I think about it ------ a couple of 2nd line G's for 10 or 20 minutes at ppp shouldn't hurt me!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

then again, if I do that, and it seems like a good night --- I am likely to NOT HAVE ANY SELF CONTROL and then go scream out the High F again!!!! and try to go higher!!!!!!!!!!!!! (((I don't think my Dr. understood me when I told her ---" I will try to only practice the horns for a half hour, and then I will TRY to not push them to the max))) ---- it's tough being a trumpet player!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL