How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey everyone - I'm foisting another video on you. I was doing some playing with recordings tonight and I played along to L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole, coming in right before the trumpet solo and playing it through to the end. I like to play with recordings because it forces me to listen to external intonation, and it helps with timing and that kind of thing.

So here's a vid - again not perfect, but kind of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkYWjXsE3s

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT... YOU are WAY too kind... but you left out yet another Best of the Best... Chuck Willard... Solar Bell lights the way!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Chuck is the real deal - at one point he was in the Navy band at the US Naval Academy here at Annapolis. You don't make that band unless you are a serious player and at a level above anything I ever accomplished as a player. I auditioned for that band about 7 years ago and tanked it horribly. I mean a total crash and burn. I was playing pretty well at the time but I just couldn't get a handle on my nerves and I simply fell apart. This isn't to say that I would have made it - it was kind of a long shot under the best of circumstances - but the nerves certainly didn't help!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    FYI -- chuck and I DON'T communicate --- therefore he is not included in the list. THEN AGAIN GM, you are my HERO, and of course TrickG has inspired me in the past (before he became a trumpet QUITTER -- but then again, I see that did little to tarnish his reputation, and did little to tarnish his GLADIATOR image with me -------------so the moral of the story is ----- once you impress the Kingtrumpet, he stalks you ((UHMM I meant to say -- you remain HIGH on the HERO list, unless you do something incredibly ridiculous, where I need to disown you. ROFL ROFL ROFL (but Onady and Gleason -- I find it would be difficult to disown such fine friends) ---- this wasn't a slam to Mr. Willard, surely he is a fine player (according to his youtube stuff that I viewed -- this was just a commentary on Onady and Gleason, my fine trumpet playing friends) ROFL ROFL ROFL

Of course GM (you might remember in my last CD to you -- I tried to emulate the Harry James tune that Chuck Willard did in one of his youtubes --- of course, I only had half of the song, and OBVIOUSLY 4 years on a comeback -- DOES NOT MAKE ME A HARRY JAMES, or a chuck willard) but I tried!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GREAT -- now I got to try to get back to the solid High A ----- and be able to play that in a song ----- and my Dr. says I need to take a few weeks on EASY TRUMPET playing. GOOD thing I have an appointment tomorrow --- I am going to tell her there is NO pain in my broken back, so she can take me off the "light trumpet play" list. ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No videos tonight - just a quick note about playing and practice. It would seem that I knocked most of the dust off the first few days, but now the real work begins to polish it up, and like polishing a trumpet with all the little nooks and cranies, it going to take time. Tonight was just basics again - lots of lip slurs, tonguing exercises and scales, and while there are some shiny spots, overall there is still a lot of tarnish that needs to be targeted and dealt with. I know - kind of a cliche analogy considering the forum we are on, but it fits.

At times I feel like I'm right on, and then the next time I put the horn up, it's a miss. Of course I knew what I was getting into when I started back up, and that it was going to take some time to bring it back to where I left things. Then again, even back then I had my good days and bad days, and things weren't always consistent. It's the curse of the weekend warrior. I didn't have this problem back in my early 20s when I was doing it for a living full time, but then again, I was also playing for hours every day and didn't have all of the life distractions I've had for say...the last 20 years? (celebrated 20 years married this last summer.) I probably shouldn't call my wife a "life distraction" - I'm not sure she'd like that. :D

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

What kind of m/piece? Looks a Bach something or other. A good F, nice blowin'!

Sometimes I think that the comeback time for the weekend musician can be much reduced if he's already familiar w/a shallower m/piece.

One little thing I learned just last week is that the 2nd book in a big band can be harder than the first. Even w/out the expected jazz soloing. Harder to project the harmonies what w/the lead player on top.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The mouthpiece I'm using, and the main mouthpiece I have used for a long time, is a Schilke 14A4. If things break the right way and I wind up gigging again, this is the mouthpiece I'll use.

For me, I always preferred playing 3rd and 4th book in a big band. I never cared for lead - for my chops it was just too much work and I never felt like I really gave it what it needed. For 2nd, my ability to solo is pretty "eh" so I carved out a niche for myself playing 3rd and 4th, and besides, a good 3rd or 4th player (particularly 4th) can make life easier for the lead player, so there is a knack to that unto itself.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow -- just got back from my Doctor -- she gave me the green light to Play the trumpet!!!! -- she says, you can play the trumpet and trombone as much as you can tolerate. THIS TIME you fell, you didn't break anything, However, you have degenerative vertebrae -- so the pain will continue. You have multiple fractures that have fused themselves together over the years, and it is a good thing you came in to get the X-rays ----WE have something to go on next time.
    SO --- looks like KT even with a BROKEN BACK, or at least broken in multiple places in the past (and according to the Dr., quite possible to break it in the future) -- STILL might be able to catch up with you HEALTHY guys!!! I will give a whirl over the next few weeks, and see what I can do!!!!!!!!!!!