How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The 14a4 fits you well. I would have guessed a deeper cup from your tone and that's a strong positive. Means you're supporting the m/piece well.

And yes lead playing can be murder at times. So can the 2nd book which to be played well requires a bigger sound than the lead.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    day 13? --- my experience has shown me that TrickG had a good startup --- and even a decent High F. I am betting that the High F was not there on the next day, as he pushed too hard too fast!!... nonetheless he will come back strong ---- even with the inconsistency from day to day in these first few weeks!!!

anyways --- that is what I think ----- Hey, Patrick am I even close???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No, the high F is pretty much always there - sorry if that disappoints you. :-) To be fair though, I have to reset to get it - my usable range on the one chops setting is pretty much just the Eb

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Hey, I will take that ---- HAS TO RESET TO GET THE HIGH F ---- the Eb, good!! at least I feel somewhat NORMAL at the moment ---- but the F, luckily I dont' have to reset to get that!!!! working on the G now ---- but ole GM, he cranked out a DHE at a concert in the summer. NOT LIKELY to catch up with you guys!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL and that reminds me of Doctors for some reason -- GM being a Dr. and such

went to my eye doctor today ---- glaucoma, the back of the eye --- she says looks pretty healthy --- so She mapped out the eye with her fancy eye machine gizmo --- and We can "keep an eye" on that to make sure the HIGH NOTES are not hurting the eye with the pressure and such!!!!

I like these doctors that I have gone to in the past few weeks ---- the ear doctor (a woman), the occupational health doctor (a woman), and now the eye doctor (a woman) --- so, fortunately to hijack this thread, lately I'm feeling pretty good about going to the doctor!!!!!!!!!!!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hello ladies and germs! It's been a while since I've updated this thread - pretty much the same amount of time it has been since I've really done any playing. I've missed it a lot though and I have something coming up in a few weeks where I'm going to need to be able to play, so it's time to get the horn back out and git 'er done!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad to hear you're back at it!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

I don't know how silly this might sound, but at my age and with what I've got going on in my life right now, if I don't have a pending gig, I have a REALLY hard time getting the horn on my face. Gigs really dried up for me over the last year or so, and it's been odd to see what that has done to me psychologically. I'll be 43 this year, and I've had a close association with playing trumpet since I was 11, so when I wasn't playing or gigging, it was like I'd lost my identity and lost my way.

In any case, I got a call today for a couple of sub dates with a party band, so I've got to get some things back together with my chops in order to make that happen and not fall on my face. The weird thing is that in the last year or so I've felt kind of adrift. Tonight, everything locked back into focus - I know what I have to work on and I know what I have to do - now all I have to do is line it up and go for it. :)

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Do you still play drums at your church? Maybe you could work a little trumpet time in with that! I can imagine that feeling as I can't fathom NOT playing my horn now!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm kind of in a lull with that too, although it has always been easier to maintain motivation to play drums than to practice trumpet.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You get to hit something!! :lol: