How Quick To Get the Chops Back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I found a local symphonic band to be part of and that has helped give me a focus. It helps if the band is pretty good and plays music that is a bit of a challenge. I also find that when I'm tired or stressed, playing is the first thing that goes. Just like exercise and other healthy habits.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Pleased to hear from you. I was just thinking about you last Sunday ... :thumbsup:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had given some thought to joining up with the local community college community band. I had done that in the past and one of the things it really seemed to help, at least where playing rock and roll horn lines are concerned, is my wind. It's just a different kind of playing. Concert band stuff tends to be longer, more controlled phrases, where in contrast, rock band stuff is hard and short phrases - it's almost a percussive effect at times, and for me I tend to view it as a different kind of playing altogether, but when my wind is working well, the rock band stuff is much easier.

Dupac, I appreciate that you had actually thought about me. I go in fits and starts on the forums these days - it goes hand in hand with how much time I'm spending doing whatever it is a forum promotes.

I probably won't post any vids anymore - my playing tonight didn't seem to have changed too much from what it was several months ago. I haven't played regularly in over a year, but I just don't seem to lose the foundation stuff anymore. Once I got into it, I was focused and had decent strength and endurance. I wouldn't "want" to go gig in this state, but I probably could in a pinch, and I think I'll be able to play a gig in a few weeks and be ok.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome back once again. You know the trumpet is your mistress. You will always come back for more and more. Ya know you'll never give it up... and ya got many more years of this ahead of you, young whipper snapper.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ahh shucks -- I was practicing for a "SHOWDOWN" with the High F ---as I am finally up to a solid HIGH G these days --- although I wouldn't go to a gig and be able to do them after a 4 hours!!!! but they are pretty consistent these days ------ after all Patrick, it has only been about a YEAR since you last graced our FORUM here on TM ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW -- THANKS --- I thought that I was the ONLY ONE in my community band who gets winded!!!! ---- yeah the conductor USED TO BE a trumpet player -- he should know we can't hold a middle C indefinitley while we tune up -------- ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A showdown on the high F or even a G? Maybe in a day or two. ;-)

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Nice to see you back here,Patrick:oops::cool:

9. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    Just keep the practise going. Think of it as if you were in a gym

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- concentration is the thing that goes ---and everthing else follows!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

bumblebee likes this.