How the Trumpet (Player) Works, or "Software"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Markie,
    my roadmap to double C is TOP SECRET. I would NEVER give it away for free.

If you read my stuff often enough you will believe that you can play double C though. That is almost the same.....................

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    JD, I agree with Rowuk -- it seems as if you have a good mind and are more curious than overly analytical. Gordon's remark about finding things out by experimentation is the truth about most (all?) of the internal (software) workings of trumpet playing. Since nobody can see how another person is arching their tongues while playing, nor see exactly which muscles they tighten up when to blow for any particular note, etc., it's all experimentation anyway even if you think you understand what someone else is saying.

Anybody who says "double Ab is no harder than high Ab" is simply someone for whom that extra octave came easily because he/she stumbled onto the correct combination of factors which allowed it to be easy for him/her. Please don't ever take anybody else's claim of something being easy as meaning that you are somehow deficient if you find that same thing difficult.

And rereading any of the past trumpet masters' writings (and taking a lot of what they say with a grain or two of salt) is a great way to get yourself thinking about what you're doing. Thinking about it is what helps us move onto the next level -- it helps, but it's the actual work which results from that thinking which actually makes us able to achieve that next level. And CG is defnitely correct in saying things develop by habit and not by theory.

No two mouths are the same, no two sets of lungs are the same, no two sets of abdominal muscles are the same, and no two sets of connections between brain and all the rest are the same, and for most of what we're working on there aren't conscious brain connections at all, so we have to experiment and then having stumbled onto something that works better, we need to repeat, repeat, repeat that action over and over and over again so that we can do it whenever we want to.

Keep asking the questions -- that's how we learn. And even if after all this it comes down to your having figured out that rereading CG's book will be the best thing for you to do, the conversation will have been well worth it.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Rowuk,
    I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a double high C today.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ok, I just played a double C (it is 11:47 at night so technically still today). You can make the check out to my wife, otherwise I will have to pay taxes on services rendered

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Ahhh...so you work with non-trumpet players too! :)

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually there are 2 types of trumpet players: those with a life and those without.

Sometimes we have to devote more time than having a life allows. If we don't find the path back, well the statistics speak for themselves. The divorce rate with professional musicians is much higher than average.

Being a teacher means sometimes having to try to sort out the students priorities - in both directions.

I was very fortunate to get some lessons with Armondo Ghitalla - who was also a master cook. His playing wasn't the only thing "tasty" during those lessons. He also had a fine appreciation for many other things beautiful. That man had a life!

I don't work with non-trumpeters. I would be way out of my field.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The check's in the mail!

9. kalijah

kalijah New Friend

May 5, 2008
    Oral space has minimal effect and is not the cause of tone color. Or pitch for that matter.