How to act on stage

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by B15M, Feb 4, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,
    These might sound like things that I should know but I don't.

When your performing, can you bring a bottle of water on stage and drink in-between songs?

While playing a concerto out front, what do you do during long rests? Look at the conductor or the band or the audience? Sometimes you are standing there for a long time.
    Is it ok to empty the water from your horn when your standing in front?
    Sometimes when I empty my third slide a lot of water comes out. Standing out front with everybody staring at you well...

Thanks,

Joe

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "When your performing, can you bring a bottle of water on stage and drink in-between songs?"

A cup looks better and is more standard.
    "While playing a concerto out front, what do you do during long rests?"

Behave naturally... that is, look at the music, the audience, your shoes... kind of like being on a blind date.

"Sometimes you are standing there for a long time."

Nah, it's like being from GREEN BAY.. it just seems like longer!

"Is it ok to empty the water from your horn when your standing in front?"

Yes, it's fine. It's even okay to fine to pick someone in the audience and smile sheepishly at them while you do it. Just lightens the moment a little.

ML

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    My daughter plays french horn and has soloed (Strauss, what else?) with the local symphony. She was taught to discretely turn sideways from the audience and drain the plumbing behind her. Act nonchalant ... the audience does understand!

Uh... that's the horn's plumbing of course.

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I try and look like I'm into the music during rests(sometimes I actually am!). It's easier in jazz because you can look at the person soloing and nod your head when they play something interesting. For a classical thing I would look at the music and just try and look interested in what's happening.

There's nothing wrong with descretely emptying your water but try not to make it part of the performance. :-)

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    In a couple of weeks I am going to play the Arutunian with a band. I will most likely play from memory so there will not be any music to look at or hide behind.

One more question:

When I play do I pick a spot in the back and play to it or move the bell to different spots. I saw Wynton play a concerto with the local symphony and he went back and forth as if he were talking to the audience.

6. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    From Green Bay

Manny-"Its just like being from GREEN BAY...only it seems longer".

Now you're in trouble-I'm from the above mentioned place! Not only that but I spent 21 years in the PACKER BAND when they had one on the field.
    (Actually, we ARE jealous of your weather. )

Maybe this is a new thread but are there any former or present football band players out there? Seems most of the bands have gone the way of the Jumbotron.

Love the forum
    Greg

7. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    Greg,
    Did you play in the band with Karl Van Beckum? He played bass in the Packer band for a while. He is a good friend of mine here in St. Cloud.

PAtrick Thorn

8. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Patrick, I was in the band for its last 21 years ('76-'96 seasons) I believe Karl played in the 80's. (I thought he played trombone??) I actually have some VanBeckums as students at the present-Karl's relatives? Anyway, say hi for me.
    Greg Sauve (pronounced so-vey)

9. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    I will say Hi. today in fact. We are watching the game today. Yeah, he also plays trombone too, I forgot about that. He was over at my house for the Vikes/Packers playoff game. That was fun :evil: Oh well, better luck next year (for both teams)

PT

10. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    During an auditon last year, the adjudicator took off THREE POINTS because I looked at my music during measures of rest, instead of looking at him. He actually wrote that down on my sheet, with a "-3" next to it. Because of that, my 100 dropped to a 97, and there was no hope for All State. :-( He was old and creepy looking, too.