How to actually practice long tones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garmeth, Jan 5, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    SO BrotherBACH you DO believe in warm ups! Nice to see this!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    soft long tones. My take is to play a 2nd line G, (similiar to the Cat Anderson method) -- but play the G as long as you can with good tone at a ppp level. I worked my way up to 15 to 20 minutes. I seriously believe that has helped my tone immensely. Then I work my way up, or down a few notes --- try the appegio think (C, E, G, C) -- and hold each note for several minutes. YOU will need to rest occasionally, but as "LOCAL" suggested, building UP endurance and such requires you to "push" a little harder than you normally would. YOU are going to have to "listen" to what your body and lips tell you. Every other day or so, I also work on "LONG" tone scales at the upper part of my range (whatever range I have that day) --- I can't hold these for 20 minutes, but it seems if you can hold a High C for 1 minute this week --- in 3 or 4 weeks you can hold it a little longer (1 minute and 20 seconds, etc). Long tones (to me) are for enhancing tone, then building endurance, and also supporting your range as it goes higher. Patience, perserverance, and dedication is the KEY.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wrong lion breath! You should have stoped at "are for enhancing tone". BUT Nooooo... you had to hold it out tooooooo long, didn't cha?

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. I figured out how to up load a file. I made this file that was supposed to go on a coffee mug as a Christmas present for my teacher. It all turned out too small to read on a mug... Oh well. But, I do have permission to use this. He would say that there is nothing special about these long tones. It is "how" you do them them and the approach that you take to learning and performing. As I have said, in our first class together, we spent the better part of the day just learning how to inhale and exhale at the right moment to use the air for the subsequent blow. The first note is 6 beats going into the second which is 5 beats, you inhale on the 6th beat then start the next series.

For anyone just beginning, I would recommend doing only the first set and then working up.

BrotherBACH

Attached Files:

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Here is another attempt. Sorry. do not know why it won't show.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    totally don't get you on this one GM. Although there are many exercises for endurance, and range --- soft long tones will give you support for your embouchure, and will build endurance by playing notes longer, and it does increase range as your embouchure muscles are strengthened. Long tones may not be the END ALL BE ALL of endurance and range --- but they are a great asset in helping with these...

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    last try. It show up in the editor.

Attached Files:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT, the muscle fiber demand is different for long tones than for a function that is used to strengthen vibration which supports endurance ralated muscle demand. The excercises best for this is more rapid changing workouts include slurs, scales, octive drills... More dynamic activity. I stand by my original comment, but will yield to only one other, and that would be the great and mighty Rowuk. I will yield only to what he may say regarding this debate.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH --well --- to each his own --- I think everyone will have different "fast twitch" muscle combinations in there lips --- all people are not equal, similiar, but NOT equal. Having said that (which you will probably disagree with) --- You will notice in my post that I said (there were other methods to also increase endurance and range) --- but it is also very important to do "SOFT long tones" --- but you can disagree, and so can rowuk --- you will both be wrong if you say soft long tones have no effect on these 2 areas of trumpet playing -- but hey, at least you can be in a company of wrong people ------that reminds me of "way back when" , in the public school systems here in NY they taught the "smile" embouchure which stretched the lips -- AND LIMITED the trumpet range and endurance -- but many a professional touted this "SMILE" embouchure as the "tested, proven" embouchure that should be taught!!!!!!!!!!! so even if you two agree --- of what importance is that?????????????????