how to align valves at home

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Sep 4, 2008.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    With the middle valve slide out, what should you see in the casing hole when the valve is down and up for proper valve alignment?

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    When the valve is up, you should see part of the lower hole and the valve.
    When you press the valve down, you should see just the holes (nothing?) or I
    guess the back part of the casing.
    My guess is that if improperly aligned more of the valve is showing? But can you really tell 1/32 of an inch?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    when the valve is down, the holes should line up perfectly. To get the alignment in the up position you need special mirrors or a surgical endoscope. The first valve sometime works the same way. The third valve needs the endoscope or mirrors for the up and down positions. To use the mirrors, you remove the first and third valve when doing the second. That way you can see the ports in the up position.

Getting the valves done may or may not be critical, but when the horn is perfect, we have one less excuse!

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk, In addressing the 2nd valve alignment. With the first and third valve out, and the corresponding slides out as well, and the 2nd valve in the up position, should the 2nd valve ports be equal with all four ports on the flanking slides?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Should be, yes, but whether it really happens without major effort is the question. My Monette is, most of the Schilkes and better Yamahas are, my Bach and Selmer are not. Most of the time you just have to go with the best comprimise.

The best alignment is with my natural trumpet, followed by the rotary valved instruments :evil:

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Man, I really like the way you think!

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    thanks to rowuk and all.................. crow