How to approach Arban.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oceanjaws, Nov 29, 2014.

1. oceanjaws

oceanjaws New Friend

Sep 21, 2014
    Yorkshire, England
    I bought a trumpet 2 months ago.
    I'm 43, am a guitarist, can read well and am building up my chops.
    I'm hugely enjoying the instrument!
    I bought Arban and I'm using the first studies every day.
    It's going well. (I'm hitting the G above the line, although not effortlessly)
    I know that Arban is a progressive book, but in sections.
    Do you have any suggestions for which order I should do the exercises in?
    I know this is a question only a personal tutor can answer adequately, but there is no teacher near me (I live in the country) and I'm sure some of you folks can suggest studies later in the book which I should look at.
    Cheers!

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I know you say you live in the country but could you be more Yorkshire specific. PM me if you like, I hail from the great county too. If you have to be on your own my suggestion is find the a point in each section which just (really just) challenges you and work on it until it is right then move on. Be very aware when teaching yourself of putting too much pressure on your lip (physically pushing the mouth piece into your mouth for higher notes) I would look out for Rowuk's Circle of Breath, and perhaps keep an eye on my Body use thread. Also look out for the "from mystery to mastery" videos they are very good

It might not be as difficult to find a teacher as you think although if you are at the top end of Swaledale or in Arkengarthdale you might struggle

Cheers

A

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I would suggest you use this e-book:
    The Arban Manual - Bolvin Music Studios

I have it, and although I must admit to not following Mr Bolvin's programme religiously (being continually time-poor) I do refer to it to group exercises together, and it didn't cost much.

--bumblebee

4. oceanjaws

oceanjaws New Friend

Sep 21, 2014
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi Andy.
    I'm in Walsden, near Hebden Bridge.
    I have good contacts in Manchester, so could get a lesson there.
    It's really finding the time to take the trip into town.

5. oceanjaws

oceanjaws New Friend

Sep 21, 2014
    Yorkshire, England
    Looks great Bumblebee.
    Thanks!

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I was hoping you were going to say on the top of the Wolds somewhere where I could have had a day out and given you a bit of help into the bargain. Oh well. There is a music teachers on line website

Music Teachers UK | Find a Music Teacher | Music Lessons - MusicTeachers.co.uk

I've done a quick search and there are quite a number of teachers within 15 miles of the HX7 postcode. You might not have to go as far as you think.

Keep us informed as to how you are getting on

A

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Usually from the right, tip toeing up gently.

I would do the quads with it first, then finish with the arm curls. Don't over due the arm curles though as you don't want to get too muscle bound that you cannot get the trumpet up to your lips.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Funny, are we?

The proper answer to the OP's question should have been "With awe and reverence."

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The one going south out of Toddy? That's dangerously close to the ave ye not did ye nots!

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, this is the trumpet. No sneaking up on it. Pounce right on it. Go for the jugular! Dont stop until you have killed it.

Seriously though, put some sticky notes where you are working. As you mentioned, it isn't a book where you start at the front and work to the end. Look through the sections and find areas where you are challenged. That should be you're major work areas. Back up a little to the easier parts to get yourself loosened up. You need some easy among the challanging too.